Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been happy with my Hiscox alto case (I think it's the Pro II -model). It's very durable and sturdy but lately I've been wanting more space for the accessories. What case is sturdy and durable like Hiscox but with more space for the other stuff (neck, mouthpieces, reeds etc.)?

Thanks!
-TH

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I am a big fan of ProTec cases, either contoured or rectangular. They are hard-sided and come with either ballistic nylon or leather covering (well, I have one alto ProTec contoured case in black leather - I don't know it they are still offered).

Anyway, they have plenty of storage space, protect the horn, are light in weight, and relatively inexpensive. I kept my Ref 54 alto in the leather one, now it holds my Cigar Cutter. I also have one for my Big B alto and have carried both vintage and modern altos in them.

In my view, there must be a blending of ease-of-carry, good horn-protection, and reasonable storage capacity. Absolute protection is theoretical, but probably not practical although some will claim it is. I'm perfectly satisfied with my ProTecs for my most valuable and precious altos and sopranos. DAVE

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use the BAM Hightech cases for my tenor and my alto. In both there is space for 2 mouthpieces, reeds, swaps, ... The neck does not have to be put into the bell. So there is still place for a stand. They can stand upright by themselves and can be carried on your back like a backpack. And they are stable. I even shipped my bariton without problems in a hightech case. All very useful things, when you do not own a car, like me. And you have to go everywhere by bike or public transport.

The BAM cases are molded on a Selmer Mark6 saxophone. So everything in that style should fit. With vintage US models and Keilwerth I would be careful. Most likely they do not fit.

There is also a bad side, they are quite expensive.

Personally I do not like the ProTec cases. But many do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts