Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if the mouthpieces we play are actually the mouthpieces we like and the search has essentially stopped. Or is the mouthpiece you play simply the best you have found so far and are actively looking for a better piece.

I'm asking because for the last 4 years I have been playing a piece that I could be happy with for the rest of my playing life. I knew it didn't give me everything I wanted, but I couldn't find that piece that unseated it. Until recently. For the last couple of months I've been playing a different piece that I think might just be THE piece for me. Its still too early for me to know for sure, but this challenger looks like it is going to unseat the reigning champ.

Search over? Maybe for tenor. But the game is still on for alto, bari, sop...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
Search over for me. I love Metalites. And you literally can't beat the price.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've pretty much stopped looking too. I had a bunch of GAS late last year and ended up really happy with my new mouthpieces, so I don't see any point in looking for something else (even if I thought I could afford it). it's a good feeling.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
When you've been playing for 30+ years you finally realize that there is really no 'perfect' mouthpiece. Some are closer than others! I've tried a few that were supposed to be "New and Improved" but I always went back to what I was using. Something about it was just... ME. And I'm happy with me.

I hope that some day you find your 'me'.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I can afford others, but I do tend to be stuck on Strathons -- except for the C-Mel, and I'm really still looking for a good piece for that one.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Stopped. I love my Drake Son of Slant 7. I went through a lot of pieces and they all seemed to be "stale" in the sense that I can play any style and at any volume at all times with this piece. I can't imagine a better piece for me on tenor. Now for jazz alto, that's another story...

Classical-wise, I simply play alto and tenor Rascher mpcs both refaced by Dr. Wyman. Soprano I use a stock Caravan and I see no reason to switch so I'm pretty happy with all three.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I do really like my Rascher for bari on classical pieces, the VD Optimum on alto, the Morgan Vintage on sop, and the long-shank Selmer soloist on tenor. I pretty much stopped on that genre as well. Jazz/rock, that's just got to be the Strathons, on everything other than the sop, and I find the Morgan works quite well on that too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah I'm really happy with my pieces. I like to keep a small variety of pieces. On my alto I have 2 amazing pieces an EB Link and a SS Soloist, and I switch when I feel like I should start looking at new pieces. On tenor I have a Refaced EB Link, an Refaced STM Link, and I've begun having a refacer look at toying with a dukoff (which is more for my amusement). I can't really find better mouthpieces than these running around my small city of Brisbane. Even so, when I find a mouthpiece which is "Better" the 2 questions I always ask are is it really better or is it just different? and Is it really $xxx better than my current mouthpieces?

That being said... I like trying out new pieces all the time!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
ive got the same approach to my mouthpieces as I have to my trumpets

Ive got my top 4

i switch according to my mood

if anything ever happened to one of them I would be crushed,as I still have the other 3(and that's a great place to be....cause spit happens)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
I am surprised that no one has yet asked you, what mpc you played for four years on tenor, Ben?
What mpc has unseated it, to possibly become THE mpc, for you?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,492 Posts
I am still overjoyed with my Dukoff H. I play a Caravan for the (extremely odd) classical thing and I use Bari Gold on soprano. I am satisfied and am not looking for anything else at the moment. It's a nice setup.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
I'm very settled on my rock/r&b piece for tenor. I've been on a Durga now for several years, happily. I moved up from an 8 to a 9, and could maybe enjoy a 10, but the model is very settled. I get everything I need from that piece.

I play very little jazz tenor, and am somewhat unsettled on my piece there.

I just got a new baritone that didn't like my prior "IT" piece. But the horn is so much better, I'm willing to sacrifice the piece. So I'm on the hunt again re baritone piece. But so far a metalite is holding down the fort quite nicely there, while I search. (The metalite has already whipped a dukoff and a link, so who knows -- it may yet convince me, but I've got a refaced Berg and an RPC on the way to challenge it.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I spent some time experimenting with different mouthpieces about ten years ago, and was glad for the experience. However, I eventually matched each of my horns with a mouthpiece better suited for me and stuck with same. You see, I'd been playing on some fairly closed tipped pieces, and realizing my true preference for more open ones was liberating. I'm not swayed by marketers though, and I don't need to try every new thing out there. In fact, it seems some folks here will buy new products just to be the first to gush about them... and then of course they're on to something else the next month. Trying out new mouthpieces might keep you interested in playing more, but that's about the only advantage to it once you realize what will work for you. Best to find what works, stop envying the choices of others and don't fall for marketing schemes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
So I'm on the hunt again re baritone piece. But so far a metalite is holding down the fort quite nicely there, while I search. (The metalite has already whipped a dukoff and a link, so who knows -- it may yet convince me, but I've got a refaced Berg and an RPC on the way to challenge it.)
Please update us on what you learn. My old piece on tenor was a metal Berg, but I'm especially interested in which one wins the test between RPC and Metalite. The RPC devotees on here are very strong in their attachment to their pieces, as much as some us Metalite advocates. An RPC is the only piece I would still be curious about. The one exception would be an old "pickel barrel" style mpc for bari. That would be fun to try. But I've gotten used to very open and high baffle pieces so I don't know if that would work for me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm playing a really great link and love it, could be happy forever. But I screwed up and tried a friend's Wanne Amma and fell in love with it. I can't sell the idea to the wife, so I'm simply taking Beano for my GAS.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
The problem is: You hear someone else's tone, and you're curious how he gets it. Is it his equipment?
:lol:

I made a conscious effort to stick with the piece I have now for a while (Tenor Madness EB reproduction) and now I don't feel any need to look elsewhere. I don't browse the marketplace, I don't read posts on the latest "better-est" mouthpiece. The reason is simple ; sticking with one piece and working my @ss off has changed mt sound so much more than any mpc will ever do. The only mpc I'd like to have is a metal Link I would be happy to stay with but I don't actively search for one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts