Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Immensely passionate describes these 3 perfectly!!!

Thank you 3 for all the great inspiration and music!

Happy birthday to John Coltrane, Ray Charles, and Bruce Springsteen.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A lot of people don't know that Ray Charles was a great jazz pianist before his singing career. A friend who was lead alto in his band for eight years told me how he and other members of the band would jam (playing jazz of course) with Ray Charles and what a great pianist he was.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Two more b-days of saxophone players to add for September 23 yes, Coltrane- also George Garzone... and ME!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Two more b-days of saxophone players to add for September 23 yes, Coltrane- also George Garzone... and ME!
Just wanted to mention that Frank Foster and Frank Wess made a couple of recordings together in the 1980's
also both were in the Basie Band at the same time in the 1950's so they have some history together .

Check into Franks playing and composing since he shares a birthday with you.
Frank was also married to one of Elvin Jones' sisters .. just a bit of interesting trivia, there.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great added information and a special happy birthday wish to the prettiest woman playing one of my mouthpieces. 😀

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to mention that Frank Foster and Frank Wess made a couple of recordings together in the 1980's
also both were in the Basie Band at the same time in the 1950's so they have some history together .

Check into Franks playing and composing since he shares a birthday with you.
Frank was also married to one of Elvin Jones' sisters .. just a bit of interesting trivia, there.

I had this record 30 years ago called "Two Franks please"...it was Foster and Wess just killing it. Absolutely stellar playing!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts