Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,274 Posts
John Coltrane is the jazz saxophonist that I admire the most among all the many great jazz saxophonists. I heard him in person three times, with Elvin Jones, McKoy Tyner and Jimmy Garrison at the Jazz Workshop in Boston.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I 2 heard him three x's all at Birdland. Twice with Roy Haynes subbing.
I met him, as an awed teen, saying to him " I'm your idol !$%^ I mean you're my idol !
He told me to practice and get a good teacher. His demeanor never left me. That photo/ painting of him, is a poor representation of what Coltrane was as a soul. He was a humble person. He must have understood that meekness is close to Godliness. I drop my head at the thought of him. I adore him.
I later met Cannonball on a plane in 1974 about a year before he passed.
I loved his vibe as well. To be succinct.. Cannon said 2 things I did not forget
he was tired from all that a musician goes through
that is NOT a quote, just my feeling
and the second thing was his giant admiration for John Coltrane- I believe he used the term/ phrase "spiritual will" in regard to John Coltrane... speaking almost reverently of Mr Coltrane as a soul who overcame much and was moving into higher consciousness aka Godliness.

One other comment by a teacher / professional jazz player, Mike Longo- who told me Coltrane played "advanced Blues". Those words always resonate as true for me about Coltrane.

My memory is foggy on this but I believe Mike Brecker may have said to me that he moved away from the Otto Link thing in order to get away from the Coltrane influence.. a powerful magnetism that the Link just brings out esp a 5 to 7 star. It was not a negative statement, He no doubt was in awe of John Coltrane as well. In order for a budding artist to grow he first imitates giants of his choosing , after he has a handle on them, he has to break the nest ( the Link was linked to it ha ha ) and move on. I always felt Brecker moved towards Wayne after Trane. What wonderful connections between these great musicians.
God bless John Coltrane, Julian, and Michael.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of the books "Chasing The Trane" and "John Coltrane"? I read them several years ago where John Coltrane gets an Otto Link that was made for him, perhaps the fist and it states the serial number. Is anyone available who has those books willing to find that? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts