Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
The only church I would consider attending:

Enjoy this 1963, 11:24 long live clip of the man playing "Chasin' The Trane" at the Showboat:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Thinking about John Coltrane today...he was, among many other things, an originator of "world" music.

Check out these recordings of my friend Dani Oore. I love the stuff he plays...and I think Coltrane would approve!

http://www.talambra.com/biography.php

click on music and then launch the player.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm checking out Coltrane Plays the Blues... it's new to me and so, so good.

Also probably going to see Al McLean play with Chateaugay Tenors this weekend who are doing a blues tribute to Coltrane.

Woo!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Coltrane was born in Hamlet, NC, about an hour's drive from Charlotte. The city is home to a chicken processing plant where a tragic fire broke out about fifteen years ago. It's little more than a bend in I-74. After twenty years of haranguing the county's "tourist" commission, somebody finally put up a plaque somewhere in the town commemorating his origins. I have never been able to find it, though there was a bar called "Coltrane's".

Strangely, in Marshville, just a few miles up the road from Hamlet, the city of Marshville erected a sign saying " WELCOME TO MARSHVILLE HOME OF RANDY TRAVIS."

Go figure.

Happy birthday, John.

And Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Happy birthday my friend! September 23, 1926

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Great timing, as Locomotion is playing on my mp3 player as we speak...

So many innovations from Coltrane in the areas of sound, intensity, harmonically, pedal-point, saxophonically (e.g. love that little multiphonic bit at the end of I'll Wait and Pray). Everything.

He seemed "super-human", but it was his total and complete dedication to the music and endless pursuit of how to improve and connect spiritually and emotionally that still astound me. His ballad playing...beautiful beyond words. He was a complete musician.

Shawn

FWIW, I thought Ken Burns got that point accross pretty well in their segments about Trane and the great quartet. May need to check that out again...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Listening to the "Standards" compilation right now - I don't know if there's a better match in the world of jazz than John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman. 'Trane's melancholy solo on Lush Life is the perfect counterpoint to Hartman's interpretation of the lyrics. So beautiful...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
It's all so good. For me...the Prestige stuff, the recordings with Miles, his group with Dolphy (live or in the studio), Crescent, Ballads, the Atlantic stuff, the album with Johnny Hartman...all essential.

Lush Life is a great example...BOTH of his famous recordings are jazz classics. Essential Coltrane, imo. The longer Prestige take is so beautifully played (lovely Donald Byrd playing in there too!!!), but then the version with Johnny Hartman is terrific as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Happy Birthday John Coltrane i am forever in your debt.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Today is also the Autumnal Equinox, a little late this year. Nice confluence, especially given the album "Coltrane's Sound'. I always play Equinox at least twice a year.

A presence that left the world a much, much better place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts