Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BIRD LIVES !!

TODAY IS BIRDS BIRTHDAY. (August 29, 1920 – March 12, 1955)

Every SOTW member should realize this man is the absolute master!!

I listen to Bird everyday, try to unless travel invades, but I shed stuff like his greatest work on " Dont Blame Me", The Song is You" the entire intro and solo on " Just Friends". It's mind blowing!! These young guys talking about chromatics and new concepts need to LISTEN here.
I love Sonny Stitt, Ball', Jackie Mac, Fathead Newman, Sonny Red, Charlie Mariano, Charles Mc but it all is from the master, Bird is still my personal favorite within that cosmos and Eb thinking and boplicity.His mind set, and sound just CHANGED IT ALL!!

Here's a Bird track I have always loved;
Charlie Parker :: Segment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt9IRLv73RQ&feature=related

Where's YOUR mind at when it comes to Bird? Drop a few words on the Bird appreciation thread ;

BIRD LIVES .

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Re: Happy Birthday Charlie Parker ; a great inspiration in my life. ( The Bird Appreciation Thread

A tragically flawed human being who through his rare ability made some of us praise him as a demi-god.

B

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Happy Birthday Charlie Parker ; a great inspiration in my life. ( The Bird Appreciation Thread

Laura - Charlie Parker with Strings, Birdland 1951

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC1Qt8Hwi54

WHO SAIS...JAZZ AIN'T SMOOTH :)

·
Registered
20 Posts

Actually, Bird's birthday is tomorrow...August 29th.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts

Bird is the Bach of the modern age!

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bird is the Bach of the modern age!
Well said, perfect. :)

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

One thing about Charlie Parker, he's one of those guys you just never tire of listening to. Even the same track back to back...amazing how fast he could think AND execute.

Of course, Bird influenced pretty much every player on EVERY instrument that came after. But, I think his influence on jazz repetoire as we know it is maybe equally important. So many of the "popular" songs he played became and STILL are jazz standards widely performed today. Just Friends, Laura, Out of Nowhere, Dancing in the Dark, East of the Sun, West of the Moon, Stella by Starlight. I'm not saying he was the first one to cover all those tunes, but when you look at those Charlie Parker with Strings sessions his interpretations are terrific and must have been highly influential...

Yes, BIRD LIVES!!!

Just a few favorites, out of so many...
Au Privave

In the Still of the Night

Lester Leaps In

Parker's Mood

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts

Amen to all. Bird was a huge influence on all... to think he died at 36... Incredible.

Thanks for reminding me to listen again. Very humbling.

·
Registered
235 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJoyufXa5M

Ah, the first charlie parker solo I ever learned. Steeplechase. Was playing Trumpet in the 7th Grade.

I dig Ben Van Gelder, Mark Turner, Joe Henderson, Tristano, Joe Lovano, Lee Konitz, Kenny Garrett, Herbie Hancock, Warne Marsh, Freddie Hubbard, Miles and Trane etc..

But Bird is STILL the word.

Ask every one of those guys. Bird ran deep in all of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts

Happy Birday Charlie Parker Mon.

·
Banned
353 Posts

That's awesome!! He is my influence too!!! I love the way he played his solos- Especially on his song: Confirmation, and another one called: Now's the time.

God bless Charlie Parker. I bet he's smiling down at us from heaven.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Happy Birthday Bird.

Thank you Tim for Laura. I love this LP (Bird with Strings at Birdland). For me it's as if
I as was sitting right there in Birdland. The whole album is incredible.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

His sense of time, melodicism, and fearless spirit make him unparalleled in my book! BIRD LIVES!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts

Yes, Bird was the absolute master! A true genius in every sense of the term.

Not to be disagreeable, but I couldn't disagree with the following quote more:

A tragically flawed human being who through his rare ability made some of us praise him as a demi-god.
Charlie Parker was NOT a 'flawed human being.' And I wouldn't call him or anyone a 'demi-god' (I'll leave such terms for the superstitious fools). He was a genius, a truly great musician, and a human being with the 'flaws' of any human being. In any case I wouldn't use the term 'flawed' for someone who left us such a wonderful legacy of great music. By all accounts he had a great sense of humour, as well as a big appetite for life, and that's enough for me...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts

Happy Birthday Charlie Parker!
I celebrated your day by making a copi of your mouthpiece. Started with two Runyon blanks. One got opening 0.071", facing lengd 42 and the other one got a 0.080" opening. I am no Parker copi, but it is a lot more fun playing this stuff with this mouthpieces, than with my Bellite.
Testing, testing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEETus42gsM

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

Do yourself a favor and listen to Bird play "Repetition."

The you tube version is different than the studio version.

I hear a very modern sound and another side of the genius, Charlie Parker.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Btw, Parker's Mood to my ears is one of the most beautiful pieces I ever heard. So much feeling, so pretty, so musical. It's all there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts