Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So will you be ...

(1) buying a new saxophone in 2019? You know...the next new high end horn with all the bells and whistles--non sticky pads, great ergomics, indestructable metal alloys, artificially inteliigent intonation, soprano-baritone shape-shifting abilities, and everything you could dream of...

(2) Or will you just spend the time to practice, shed, and perform?

Well for me I'll be doing both, but definitely more of the second. I plan to help bring a positive influence on all my listeners, mentees and supporters. Less entertaining and more influencing for better life. Or as the saying goes "Living Your Best Life."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im going to be trying to get good on the gear I already have. And maybe get a mouthpiece or two.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm with you on the gear already in my possession. I think I will stick with my mouthpieces since I'm happy with them. I may test different reeds though since I'm hearing about different cane reeds suggested by my friend. TOI - Time on instrument is the goal.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I haven't purchased a new sax since 2007, very content with what I have. And as of the end of 2018, I've settled on mouthpieces as well. My main goal is TOI!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't purchased a new sax since 2007, very content with what I have. And as of the end of 2018, I've settled on mouthpieces as well. My main goal is TOI!
I'm going to try to be more focused in my practice this year as I am trying to do another recording and I want to prepared for any other challenges that come my way with recordings for local artists. I am trying to work on growing my jazz chops as well as expand on my classical knowledge. Of course I need to juggle this with my day job and my family. Whatever I do get just needs to be focused.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
I won't be buying another horn. I'm satisfied with my YTS-61s (2), YTS-875 and YAS-23. Mouthpieces? Who knows, lol. I'm going to work on becoming a better player.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is great. another person more interested in actually interested in "honing the craft instead of purchasing the crafted". Of course purchasing that next tool is always so tempting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thinking of retiring my late model Selmer mark 6 tenor which is in good shape and getting a Selmer ref 54 or similar. I do a lot of work with this horn and hate to see it get banged up with use. I think I would be happy with about any Selmer Paris tenor. Want to get one before they go Asian in production?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
No new saxes!

·
Registered
708 Posts
No new gear! I need to master my current setup, which is more than adequate: YTS-32, YAS-62ii, Martin Committee III, YSS-475. Also don't need more mouthpieces, just practice on what I have.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yes, Yes I am. (But I ordered it in November).

Placed an order for a Keilwerth SX90 soprano in clear-nickel finish. Hope to take delivery by..May-ish?

But it is the first saxophone that I have bought since I bought my tenor in the fall of 2005.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Thinking of retiring my late model Selmer mark 6 tenor which is in good shape and getting a Selmer ref 54 or similar. I do a lot of work with this horn and hate to see it get banged up with use. I think I would be happy with about any Selmer Paris tenor. Want to get one before they go Asian in production?
FWIW, I did that years ago and got a Ref 36...love the lush tone I get out of the '36.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,025 Posts
No new horns planned this year. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

(because the last day of Christmas is January 13)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I never plan on it but who knows?

I do buy or trade significantly less than I did in the past but it is always a possibility. I no longer even open mouthpiece for FS/FT ads for my own safety! There are a few things on my want list but there's no rush for them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I won't be buying another horn. I'm satisfied with my YTS-61s (2), YTS-875 and YAS-23. Mouthpieces? Who knows, lol. I'm going to work on becoming a better player.
2 YTS 61's??? now THAT is er.....pure overkill, sheer indulgence? well whatever..nice!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No new saxes!

I love this response. Pretty concise and exclamatory. Taking personal accountability public.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Yes I am. (But I ordered it in November).

Placed an order for a Keilwerth SX90 soprano in clear-nickel finish. Hope to take delivery by..May-ish?

But it is the first saxophone that I have bought since I bought my tenor in the fall of 2005.

Sounds like a great horn. I've never played a JK soprano but many tell me that they are a great horn. I hope you enjoy it when it comes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I may buy this year...option #1. I'm in a bit of a dilemma, in only knowing alto (Yamaha yas23) but very curious about whether a tenor will suit me better.

I've only been playing for nine months, so I don't really have enough experience on alto yet. I love the alto so far, loads of fun and the mountain of learning keeps getting bigger.

What I am thinking of doing though is having a local tech check my yas23 in a few months, possibly lighten the action and check a couple of sticky pads, and see if I can loan/rent a tenor for a 'try out' while the service happens. Or just rent a tenor for a short stint and work out which way to go forward.

So a new tenor could be on the cards?

I need to get some more skills and time under my fingers, either way! So planning lots of #2 - Practice!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've only been playing for nine months, so I don't really have enough experience on alto yet. I love the alto so far, loads of fun and the mountain of learning keeps getting bigger.

What I am thinking of doing though is having a local
I would encourage you to concentrate on the alto for the next year and a half before adding tenor. (If you had started on tenor, I would encourage you to stay on tenor for the first two years before adding alto). There's a lot of fundamentals and skills that you will build on the alto that will carry over easily to tenor once you learn them. But moving too soon may cause some bad habits as you try to compensate with a weak embouchure or diaphragm support.

The YAS23 is a great horn. I played one all through high school, went to multiple solo and ensembles contests and region and all state band auditions on mine. I even played it through my first year of college before I finally was able to buy my Keilwerth alto.

Definitely take it to a technician and have a solid set up and maintenance work done on it. They are good horns and will last a lifetime if taken care of (I still have mine from 27 years ago). Spend your money on a good mouthpiece, a Selmer C* or Rousseau NC4 or the likes, and a BUNCH or reeds, and a good teacher.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would encourage you to concentrate on the alto for the next year and a half before adding tenor. (If you had started on tenor, I would encourage you to stay on tenor for the first two years before adding alto). There's a lot of fundamentals and skills that you will build on the alto that will carry over easily to tenor once you learn them. But moving too soon may cause some bad habits as you try to compensate with a weak embouchure or diaphragm support.

Definitely take it to a technician and have a solid set up and maintenance work done on it. They are good horns and will last a lifetime if taken care of (I still have mine from 27 years ago). Spend your money on a good mouthpiece, a Selmer C* or Rousseau NC4 or the likes, and a BUNCH or reeds, and a good teacher.
Thanks for the advice. I have a Selmer S80 C* and that is working well. (I also have a Jody Jazz HR* that is a bit beyond me just now...a future project).

I have a great teacher here in Adelaide, so sounds like I might be on the right track.😀

Next step is to give the YAS23 a bit of techy TLC. I expect that will encourage me to play even more (if that is possible?!).

I'll try to quell my tenor curiosity...that's a tough ask! So lots of option #2, delay option #1. That's 2019 mapped out!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts