Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very picky friend bought one of these and says it's EVERY BIT as good as his original handmade Guardala MBII.
So if you've been saving your pennies for a handmade DG, consider one of these for a THIRD of the price. They are collector items in the making.

http://www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=GoldCheong110TSax

If you have a DG original handmade, you might want to consider dumping it for big $$$ before the word gets out...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
Or buy a WWBW LT Guardala and send it to Mojo (for example) and save a lot more!

They look good though, and if you really want the pink bit plate...............

·
2,960 Posts
my lazer trimmed super king plays better than my old hand made ever did

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does anyone else ever feel this way? I can't imagine having even $520 to plunk down on a mouthpiece, let alone three times that much. After some years as a player I'm a bit cynical that there can be that much value or difference in a mouthpiece and I only have some anonymous person's word for it that they are "handmade" in the first place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone else ever feel this way? I can't imagine having even $520 to plunk down on a mouthpiece, let alone three times that much. After some years as a player I'm a bit cynical that there can be that much value or difference in a mouthpiece and I only have some anonymous person's word for it that they are "handmade" in the first place.

Soul,
The handmade Guardalas regularly go for $1300 and up. I would never pay that much for a piece, but there are plenty of folks out there that just gotta have one no matter what the cost. $520 isn't bad if it's as good as an original Guardala. Sure beats $1300+

·
2,118 Posts

In any case, the '80's are over, time to move on - many better choices out there now

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
First the confession: "I am a mouthpiece addict." Second the result of the disease: Stumbling through and finding that the actual finishing work on a mouthpiece makes all the difference in sound shaping and ease of articulation.

For years I played stock mouthpieces and some played great, some like dogs but recently stepped up to an older Guardala "Studio" for my Tenor and am shocked to have a found the grittiness and depth of tonality I have been seeking for 30 years. Now I am not recommending a DG because I also like the Greg Wier HR "link" as well but for different playing styles.

The point is do not discount any good quality mouthpiece before having a reputable re-facer work on it first.

In my humble opinion the best basic "stock" mouthpieces are Ponzol, Yanigasawa HR, Meyer HR and the newer Guardalas (not from PMS). PMS is a completely different matter. The DG pieces from PMS are expertly finished and from reports ready to play right away.

2 cents.

B

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
...Im sorry but this has ignited the metacognitive instincts in me....

If the handmade ones are not as good...why bother to COPY them in the 1st place?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Someone needs to send me a DG piece to playtest, because I can't imagine, after all the pieces I've played, that they are, 'all that'. If they're that great, I will sing them to high heaven...otherwise....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
$520 isn't bad if it's as good as an original Guardala. Sure beats $1300+
Just because $1,300.00 for a mouthpiece seems insane, it doesn't mean that spending $520.00 for a new offering with absolutely no track record isn't insane as well. Plus, you're basing your recommendation on hearsay, not actual experience with the piece in question. I myself would urge caution and patience. Every new mouthpiece eventually lands on the second hand market where its true worth is soon discovered.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Just because $1,300.00 for a mouthpiece seems insane, it doesn't mean that spending $520.00 for a new offering with absolutely no track record isn't insane as well. Plus, you're basing your recommendation on hearsay, not actual experience with the piece in question. I myself would urge caution and patience. Every new mouthpiece eventually lands on the second hand market where its true worth is soon discovered.
I agree. It's not like...being accused of Manslaughter makes you any less-guilty than if you're accused of 1st degree Murder...
Hope I get your point here...

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
This is so true! I bought my DG studio for $200 and its perfectly suited for what I use it for. I might pay $520 now that I have tried one and liked it but only with a return policy. Every darn mouthpiece plays different even from the same manufacturer and refacer.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I am not sold on refacing. Most of my pieces that I have owned have been stock and some play well some dont. I have owned a few refaced pieces, and they have all played well, but case and point my bone stock Meyer USA killed my Meyer NY, USA, and on tenor my stock ponzol outplayed most mouthpieces I have owned. If the tip opening is not what you want, then fine send it off, but buying a brand new piece and getting it refaced before giving it a fair shake doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but then again, I am an amateur. But I know what works for me. Case and point, I send a great playing gold chu to a guy and he took it to his tech before he ever played it. It needed nothing, but its his money spend as you like I say.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
I have played as many refaced pieces that play well as I have played stock pieces that play well and conversely played poorly but getting a piece refaced before playing it first is silly. B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
I agree. It's not like...being accused of Manslaughter makes you any less-guilty than if you're accused of 1st degree Murder...
Hope I get your point here...
What?!?! What does murder have to do with mouthpieces unless we are talking about Kenny G's tone. :)

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I have played as many refaced pieces that play well as I have played stock pieces that play well and conversely played poorly but getting a piece refaced before playing it first is silly. B
Sorry I misunderstood your point at first....I agree with you.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Sorry I misunderstood your point at first....I agree with you.
Hey R. I realized the same thing about my previous post sorry for the confusion. My fingers got ahead of my brain. :0

B

1 - 20 of 20 Posts