Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a constant problem of accidentally opening my palm f in certain situations, and its really bugging me. I play bari, and I have always found the palm keys a bit awkward. My palm D was hard to reach with my palm and I had some work done a while ago to raise it half an inch or so, but my palm Eb is close enough that I accidentally hit it far to often. It happens the most when I am playing low on my horn, especially doing a 5-1 shot that ends on a Bb or an A. I have tried to avoid it by pushing my wrists in towards my sax, and that works, but feels very carpal tunnel-y. I prefer to keep my wrists straight whenever possible to reduce strain. Does anyone know a good way to deal with this issue, or do I have to live with a more strenuous hand position?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
Have you tried keeping your wrist straight and lowering your elbow? Your fingers will slant slightly upwards but can get to the palm keys pretty easily.
I have smaller hands and play an old Buescher 400 so the ergos aren't as friendly as some of the newer baris. This hand position seems to work pretty well for me, but may not for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Can't the position of the F palm key be altered by bending it away from your palm just a bit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts