Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is mental. I had the nerves checked but I'm really loosing coordination of my Pinky and Ring fingers of each hand. I put the old metronome on and work slowly but it's as if my has are slightly asleep. Not responding as expected.

I'm going to keep on going but it's really becoming bothersome. My good to stuff isn't there anymore. Hopefully it's not some mental self-sabotaging disorder.

Anyone having hand issues?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I'm not sure if this is mental. I had the nerves checked but I'm really loosing coordination of my Pinky and Ring fingers of each hand. I put the old metronome on and work slowly but it's as if my has are slightly asleep. Not responding as expected.

I'm going to keep on going but it's really becoming bothersome. My good to stuff isn't there anymore. Hopefully it's not some mental self-sabotaging disorder.

Anyone having hand issues?
Whoa there buddy!

Never mind the saxophone playing, you need to get that properly checked out, and a diagnosis, cause, prognosis and treatment CHOP CHOP!

This could be a sign of a severe condition. Get thee to a neurologist, post haste! Do not stop investigating until you have a proper explanation of what is going on!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
I have several issues ( a very long list)involving my hands one is also maybe similar to what you describe .

Do you have, by any chance, on one or more of your tendons in your hand things that feel a bit like small and hard balls? If yes, talk about it to your g.p.

Be well.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
This needs to be diagnosed promptly. This could be some kind of repetitive stress symptom, such as carpal tunnel. I battled this about 15 years ago and it was a bitch to get rid of.

I highly recommend heat, cold, and massage therapy gor your hands and wrists.

The most important thing is to get it properly diagnosed. You could add YEARS of playing by getting it documented now with a proper treatment regiment.

- Saxaholic

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I am not talking about things like pinched nerves. I am talking about serious conditions that - God willing you don't have any of these - would require IMMEDIATE treatment to avoid serious consequences.

I will not name any of the things that could cause such a phenomenon, as I think that would be irresponsible, but numbness and/or loss of coordination in the hands SHOULD NOT be treated lightly until you know for sure what is the cause.

I hope for your sake it's something so minor as a pinched nerve due to some minor musculoskeletal misalignment. It probably will turn out to be something like that, but for heaven's sake don't play around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Sounds like carpal tunnel trouble. I had it, they test the muscle /finger response with electrical impulses -quite an eye opener. The surgical procedure takes around 10-15 minutes. I've had both my hands operated on in the last 5 years and the improvement-not immediate-is tremendous.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
What turf said. It could be way more serious than carpal tunnel or a pinched nerve. It probably isn’t but go see a doc.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Losing control of the pinkies and ring fingers can be a sign of something much worse than carpal tunnel syndrome. Even if you’ve had your nerves checked I’d insist on an MRI of the brain.

Make the appointment ASAP. Good luck, my friend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,934 Posts
i had some of that when I had some pinched nerves in my upper back. A student of mine gave me one of those back devices where you hang up side down. I used that for a few days and it went away last time I had it.
I used one of those for a while. Then there was the morning that my back popped, I went into intense pain, and I wondered how long it would be before someone would come to help me down. I store that memory in my Scary ****e file.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I have constant numbness in my left hand pinky and ring finger which causes coordination issues also.
It is there in my right hand also to a much smaller degree.
The doctors and physiotherapists I have seen all seem to think it is caused by TOS Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.
I also experience pain in upper left shoulder blade and numbness from elbow to hand on the underside.
This prevents me from using neck straps and the Saxholder straps for anymore than a few minutes at a time.
Hence my using of a harness and a single shoulder strap.
Worth getting it checked out in case it is something more serious all the same.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
I used one of those for a while. Then there was the morning that my back popped, I went into intense pain, and I wondered how long it would be before someone would come to help me down. I store that memory in my Scary ****e file.
Yeah, you told me that once before. Now every time I get on it I'm a bit scared that might happen.......so far it has worked great for me though.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
'hang upside down'

Does it also make you want to fly around at night and bite people in the neck?? :)

Seriously, having any kind of problem that makes it difficult/impossible to play is truly a nightmare. Obviously everyone will experience that at some point but those of us who haven't yet should be very grateful for our good luck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I’m no expert, but will pass on my experience.

Numbness in the ring finger and pinky is generally not carpal tunnel, but CUBITAL tunnel syndrome. This is basically related to a trapped ULNAR nerve in the elbow/funny bone area.

I had this problem years ago, and had the various electricity nerve tests that they do to establish problem areas. I got as far as being in hospital ready to have an operation. 1 hour before, the consultant came in to chat, pre op. When I told him the problem seemed much better, he cancelled the op, and I have had no problems since.

So, I am not diagnosing for you, and of course googling symptoms/names of medical conditions should not be the only course of action, but it may be useful. CUBITAL TUNNEL.

Good luck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Along with the search for cubital tunnel as KMR mentioned, and thoracic outlet as B flat mentioned, consider tunnel of Guyon at the wrist (particularly if you're a bicyclist). The carpal tunnel would not involve the nerve specific to the ring and pinky fingers. The symptom pattern clues you to what nerve path to investigate (ulnar nerve, medial cord) and that path can be involved anywhere from your neck into the shoulder across the chest along your arm and forearm into the hand. If it happens with use (certain positions and muscles being tight) the nerve tests at rests may not show it, just as they wouldn't explain the tingling that occurs when you hit your elbow just right. You need someone with knowledge of the anatomy to consider what your body is doing when it is happening positioning, neck strap etc. In addition it is important to consider whether the coordination issue is secondary to the symptoms as opposed to something else. The consistency of the responses is on the money. It is certainly in your best interests to find out what is going on and make sure that the problem doesn't worsen. It's so frustrating to hear of stories where someone has testing and is left with the problem, asking if it is mental. I suggest that it is far less rare that a known pattern (ring and small finger) is mental rather than failure of diagnosis. Continue your search.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am not talking about things like pinched nerves. I am talking about serious conditions that - God willing you don't have any of these - would require IMMEDIATE treatment to avoid serious consequences.

I will not name any of the things that could cause such a phenomenon, as I think that would be irresponsible, but numbness and/or loss of coordination in the hands SHOULD NOT be treated lightly until you know for sure what is the cause.

I hope for your sake it's something so minor as a pinched nerve due to some minor musculoskeletal misalignment. It probably will turn out to be something like that, but for heaven's sake don't play around.
This, this, this. Take this seriously, until you know that it's not serious.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Every time I experience the beginning of an overuse injury or nerve entrapment I do three things - hang upside down to decompress the si joint, a long soak in highly concentrated Epsom salt bath, rolling the area out with a spikey, rubber massage ball. Oh... and full spectrum marijuana oil added to the lunch time smoothie. Learn to listen to your body.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I’m no expert, but will pass on my experience.

Numbness in the ring finger and pinky is generally not carpal tunnel, but CUBITAL tunnel syndrome. This is basically related to a trapped ULNAR nerve in the elbow/funny bone area.

I had this problem years ago, and had the various electricity nerve tests that they do to establish problem areas. I got as far as being in hospital ready to have an operation. 1 hour before, the consultant came in to chat, pre op. When I told him the problem seemed much better, he cancelled the op, and I have had no problems since.

So, I am not for you, and of course googling symptoms/names of medical conditions should not be the only course of action, but it may be useful. CUBITAL TUNNEL.

Good luck
I've had those symptoms for years. As a surveyor I used an 8 lb. sledge hammer to pound wooden hubs into the ground for staking out construction. The jarring force went directly to the outside of my elbow and beat the youknowwhat out of my nerves. It got better when I quit working in the field and became a supervisor but it still bothers me 15 years later. If the OP is losing coordination that's a different matter. GEt it checked.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts