Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a mint condition Codera stencil for the japanese market named Hamata on US ebay.

Very interesting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Thanks,

Its not quite like a Codera, the bell keys dont seem to have the same easy leveling gimbal mechanism. Cant really tell from the listing pics but it looks to me like it has a flat bell brace ring too rather than the typical beefy round B&S bell ring.

View attachment 216870 View attachment 216872

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
Looks like Hamata were going for flute-type keys with pointed key arms. This is reminiscent of Codera's. So does the shape of the octave touch. I think however that this is a Chinese made sax. Here is a video showing the Hamata tenor and alto very clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_aHaeZmqoM

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
It’s definitely an Asian made horn. I can’t tell whether it’s Chinese or Taiwanese. I’ve seen the Keilwerth-like RH cluster on another horn before but I can’t remember which one. (It’s the same keywork design in the RH as a CX90/Buffet S3, although the LH keys are different.) I didn’t watch the video super closely, but I don’t think it’s padless either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,829 Posts
I agree this is certainly a TAIWANESE sax inspired on Keilwerth/Bufffet keywork and produced after B&S closed the sax production ( the price is absurd!).

It has nothing to do with a B&S Codera.

read wat is written here (which explains it all really)

Aidis Instrument http://www.aidisflute.com.tw/english/index.html - this company has primarily been a flute builder, but introduced a sax line a few years back under the brand name "Hamata". They currently produce altos and tenors in copper, brass, and nickel plated copper finishes. The keywork is finished in nickel silver on all except the brass horns. The horns have flute style point arm cups. It's a unique look, but I personally don't find it attractive. They have models with soldered tone holes and others with rotary drawn tone holes. They have rubber grommets in the screw holes, supposedly to reduce fluctuation from wear. The horns had nice action and seem reasonably well built. I test played a tenor and it was easy blowing and had a comfortable feel.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for chiming in. After seeing the video I am convinced as well that this is a Taiwanese horn using flute points on the keys cups. I would pay $600 at most for this horn.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
958 Posts
What's interesting is that nowhere on their site under saxophones, does the company mention anything unusual about their pads, or pad technology.... Leads me to believe that it uses conventional pads, although it doesn't look like it does.

http://www.aidisflute.com.tw/article.php?wshop=aidis&lang=en&Opt=subpage&type1=36

Edit: I take that back. Looking through the various saxophones on the website, you can see the leather pads on one of their tenors: http://www.aidisflute.com.tw/product.php?wshop=aidis&lang=en&Opt=detailed&type1=201&id=37

·
38,829 Posts
they use conventional pads.

OP was mistaken ( and so he says just here above) thinking that this had anything to do with Codera saxophones.

The only special thing about this horn is the “ flute-like” pointed arms. That’s about it. Only an aesthetic point.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
958 Posts
they use conventional pads.

OP was mistaken ( amd so he says just here above) thinking that this had anything to do with Codera.

The only special thing about this horn is the “ flute-like” pointed arms
Yes, the pads are just so thin, that they are not visible at most angles. That adds to the confusion. ;)

·
38,829 Posts
here you can see them better

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
The only special thing about this horn is the “ flute-like” pointed arms. That’s about it. Only an aesthetic point.
I don’t mind the flute like pads. But then again, I am a flute player.!

·
38,829 Posts
I don’t mind them either, they are just not a Codera clone, if fact I like this horn very much.

Aidis is a well respected flute brand.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The more pictures I realized absolutely an asian manufactured horn.

·
38,829 Posts
But that is not, in itself, a bad thing.

Taiwanese saxophones have made incredible progress in the last 10 or so years.

In fact I think that this horn is (based on its looks) very well made with uncommon attention for details.

But is it worth in excess of $2100 secondhand? (Even if seller says “ like new” nevertheless this is a secondhand horn)

I really don’t think so.

A realistic price would be $950 and it would probably be at the very top of its market value.

·
7,887 Posts
Those arms look awfully thin to me...I’d worry about bends.

·
38,829 Posts
None of the contributors to this thread ( there is another thread where a SOTW member has seen this and possibly tried it) have seen it from close by or, dare I say, has tried this sax.

The brand that ostensibly makes these (and that surely sells them) is the maker of well known and appreciated Taiwanese flutes, Aidis.

Their flutes are well appreciated and sold in good shops at serious prices.

http://www.aidisflute.com.tw/index.php?wshop=aidis&lang=en

·
7,887 Posts
None of the contributors to this thread ( there is another thread where a SOTW member has seen this and possibly tried it) have seen it from close by or, dare I say, has tried this sax.

The brand that ostensibly makes these (and that surely sells them) is the maker of well known and appreciated Taiwanese flutes, Aidis.

Their flutes are well appreciated and sold in good shops at serious prices.

http://www.aidisflute.com.tw/index.php?wshop=aidis&lang=en
Nope, haven’t tried one. I suspect it will be like just about every other Taiwanese horn I’ve tried...very well made with a few little gimmicks built on. At least this one doesn’t say it’s a copy of a VI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts