Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
747 Posts
aside from the actual event, the saddest thing to me is that most americans never heard about this in a school history class. we hear about in great detail the atrocities perpetrated by the germans and japanese, but no mention of those killed in our own country.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Thank you for opening my mind & ears to tenor saxman Hal Singer. More info about his remarkable musical career can be found at https://www.allmusic.com/artist/hal-singer-mn0000949042/biography. Even a small sampling of his recorded output reveals the emotional depth in his saxophone voice, whether he's leading a screaming rhythm&blues session or playing lyrical, contemplative jazz. His 1959 Prestige album "Blue Stompin'" is worth seeking out.

I'd like to learn more about Hal Singer's life. It seems that his autobiography "Jazz Roads" is available only in a French-language edition.

Yes, we Americans need to seek out & acknowledge & share the untold stories of our history, so that our healing can begin.

· Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
10,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Finally Distinguished
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,713 Posts
Interesting life story. I'd never heard of the Tulsa massacre until a day or two ago. They didn't teach it in the 60s and 70s when I was in school.

You can't compare a 2 day incident in Oklahoma with a war that ravaged Europe and left 30 million dead.

· Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,061 Posts
Mod hat on:

This could go off the rails very quickly. I'm not casting any blame anywhere, this is more of a gut feeling things could go wrong as it has with other threads recently.

So far it's OK but we all need to take a step back. My experience from the other thread (and I'm probably not totally innocent) is to think how other may easily misinterpret what we say (or don't say) or that other people may be saying things that aren't quite what you think. We are from different walks of life and have different emotional connections to different events.

I would like to see us be able to discuss a great player, Hal deserves that. And yes we should be able to discuss the important history but please beware with the political situaion right now how easily this could go wrong in regard to the SOTW rules (I didn't make them but it's my job to keep the posts within them and within the spirit of them).

I'd love if we could discuss important history objectively, and at the same time accept that racism at whatever level is abhorrent. But we must steer well clear of how both of those subjects get used ploitically.

(Again, no finger pointing here, just trying to stop something happening before it starts)

Please?

· Out of Office
30,061 Posts
Hal has always wanted to be known as a jazz player, not so much for his hit "Cornbread." That was a great record IMO (as a R&B afficionado), but as a jazz musician he is a bit unsung. I have a couple of albums on vinyl, great great player.

· Out of Office
30,061 Posts
I can compare it with kristallnacht and a range of other actions that where intent on removing people from way back before war started.
You can, but did you read my post? We can't expect everyone to be as informed on historical issues that are closer to you and not interpret things differently.

Again, please be careful or sadly I would predict this thread will be closed, like the other one.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,659 Posts
...snip....

Yes, we Americans need to seek out & acknowledge & share the untold stories of our history, so that our healing can begin.
Racism is indeed abhorrent...hiding history is a bad as destroying it.

Destroying and rewriting history has it's own history.

...and yet it appears we will never learn....

There's also a lot of positive, uplifting history that we seem eager to re-write. I don't get any of that.

· Out of Office
30,061 Posts
Racism is indeed abhorrent...hiding history is a bad as destroying it.

Destroying and rewriting history has it's own history.

...and yet it appears we will never learn....

There's also a lot of positive, uplifting history that we seem eager to re-write. I don't get any of that.
I don't understand. We aren't doing that here.

Does nobody want to talk about Hal Singer?

· Registered
4,627 Posts

It seems this thread is heading towards only talking about the race riot, as terrible as it was. I'd love to know about Hal Singer the saxophonist, not Hal Singer the "race riot survivor".

· Registered
2,862 Posts

Like you said earlier Pete, Hal is a great, great player and he wore quite a few hats stylistically; all of them well suited for his skillful approach to the blues, early R&B, and swing. Don't know if you can say that his playing with Jay McShann can be categorized as early bop as it's really more like the very end of the KC big band sound but in a smaller group format. and it may be considered a bit passé compared to Monk.
So, it's no wonder that he is held in such reverence and, the only other tenor player that I can think of who's very influential and also gets left out of many discussions, truly a next generation musician between swing and bop is Harold Land. Now, on to the essential feeling most experience reading about the Tulsa Massacre; Singer said that he never forgot where he came from and the unspeakable horror his family endured to save his life as a toddler when it happened. Yes, I agree that we can find a balance here. And there is a Good Samaritan story in there as well. Knowledge is power, Pete.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.