Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a #3 and a #3-1/2 alto sax reeds. I tested out the #3 and it plays awful. Very stuffy and no liveliness to the sound at all. Is there a break-in period to these reeds? I'd heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
No break-in should be required. I have a couple which I would call very lively, a tenor 3 and an alto 3 1/2. The alto reed is too hard for my current mpcs but the tenor reed I sometimes use if I don't have a good cane reed or want the extra buzz.

In fact, the Hahn is the brightest, must lively synthetic reed I have tried. Do other synthetics work for you?

·
709 Posts
I've used Hahns in 2.5 and 3 on alto, tenor, and sop. They like certain mouthpieces, and properly matched can really blast. I'd never use them for ensemble work unless everyone had them, too.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Fibracell, which play WAY easier. I'd heard Hahn were even better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Gerald Allbright uses Hahn reeds on his tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
saxdude48 said:
Are you sure about this?
Yes… at least he says he does. I met Gerald at the NAMM show on Jan 17. He was playing alto and tenor at the Cannonball booth. I asked him about his tenor set up. It was a Sugal mouthpiece with a Hahn reed. I asked him if he was just using it for the show, but he said that he used the Hahn reed for recording and touring. He prefers cane reeds on alto and soprano, but liked the Hahn for tenor. I asked him about fibracell and he says he likes those too. I can't remember what his alto mouthpiece was.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anybody out there play both Hahn and Fibracell ? I want to try the Hahn reeds, but don't know how they compare strength-wise to Fibracells. I play Fibracell Premier #2 on Alto and 3-1/2 on Tenor. Any idea what the Hahn equivalents would be ?? Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If #3 does not work go half a step down to #2,5. They are a bit harder than most other reeds-like Legere.I had to go down a whole step,than everything was ok

·
Registered
204 Posts
I played a hahn many years ago. I then played some Fibracells. The hahn reed seemed pretty hard, but I wouldn't know how they were compared to each other, I changed too much and can't remember. Sorry.

Good luck and keep trying

·
Registered
582 Posts
thesaxguy said:
Anybody out there play both Hahn and Fibracell ? I want to try the Hahn reeds, but don't know how they compare strength-wise to Fibracells. I play Fibracell Premier #2 on Alto and 3-1/2 on Tenor. Any idea what the Hahn equivalents would be ?? Thanks.
I used to play Fibracell on both alto and tenor. I stopped using them when the "Premier" reeds came out. The Hahn reeds are much better than the new Fibracell. They play like the old Fibracells used to. The strength is slightly different. If you play a cane reed with a 2 1/2 strength then you would need a #3 Hahn.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I never noticed hahns playing "hard," but I did notice they puzzled me. On alto, I got a 3 and a 3 1/2, and the 3 seemed too soft...played bright as all get-out, which I can't stand...but the 3 1/2 played airy and stuffy. I agree that on tenor (a #3), it seems to be a better approximation, and it's nice and consistent (I could tongue lightly, quickly and quietly like it was nothing down to low B or so), but it's still too bright for me. It was cool playing quiet, but anything louder, I felt like a goose.

Has anyone played hahn and Legiere? I remember when I got the hahns...and I was toying between trying those or Legieres. I hadn't dared go near synthetics at all for ages since high school when I tried a Bari. Those are great for a joke on the band director...

·
287 Posts
I've played both Hahn and Fibracell on my soprano. I used 2s for both reeds and they were very close to the same hardness. I'm in a cane stage again...

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
902 Posts
Ron Coelho mentioned to me a few days ago that Pete Christlieb was an enthusiastic user of Hahn reeds. I ordered one 2.5 and one 3 which arrived yesterday. First impression more than excellent: a bit brighter than the corresponding Fibracell; the 2.5 Hahn roars more evenly than the Fibracell from top to bottom (on a Morgan 7EL and a 10M); excellent subtones and clear high range. The difference between 2.5 and 3 is smaller than the corresponding difference between the 2.5 and 3 Fibracell: #3 Hahn closer to a 2.5 Fibracell.
Give them a try. I'm gonna order a spare 2.5...
Jacques

·
902 Posts
MM,
No, from REEDS DIRECT, Cambridge, UK, www.reeds-direct.co.uk
Extremely fast shipment.
If you're in the middle range trip, buy a 2.5 and a 3 to compare.
Enjoy and keep swinging
Jacques

·
Registered
452 Posts
Does reeds direct ship outside the UK/change currency and such? Sax Alley claims to be the sole US distributor of Hahns, and from searches I've done it seems to be true.

·
902 Posts
I frankly don't know. The do state they ship outside of EU (e.g. to Switzerland) and confirm this so
VAT will be deducted for orders outside the EU..

Check the price and give them a try.

J

1 - 20 of 29 Posts