Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noticing today that in an Abersold book he calls the whole tone scale the same as an augmented scale.
While in the Dan Haerle book it shows whole tone scales and augmented scales as different.
Que piensas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
IMO
Whole Tone = C D E F# G# A# C
Augmented = C D# E G G# B C

But they both work over Augmented Chords.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was my thought as well. do you think Abersold put it like that for an easier way for beginers?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,447 Posts
The augmented chord refers to the 5th being raised, or 2 major 3rds on top of each other so the whole tone scale is ' an augmented scale ' which is probably what Aebersold meant.
Another scale with the raised 5th ( or flattened 6 ) is the altered scale.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The whole tone scale (C, D, E, F#, G#, Bb) may be used on augmented chords; which is probably why Aebersold chose to use that label for that scale in that context.

There is an actual bonafide Augmented Scale, which Haerle and many others have discussed, including Gary Campbell in his book "Expansions." The augmented scale is constructed by juxtaposing two augmented triads a half step apart in a linear way. For example: the C augmented triad (C, E, G#) and Db augmented triad (Db, F, A) when placed in order would yield this result: C, Db, E, F, G#, A. This is the Augmented Scale and it is a symmetrical scale with the pattern of 1/2 step, minor 3rd, 1/2 step, minor 3rd, etc.

The scale sounds good starting with the 1/2 step played first and also sounds good with the minor 3rd played first. There are many applications for both approaches.

For those of you with an interest in symmetrical scales, I suggest the etude book wirtten by Guy Lacour: 28 Studies on Modes with Limited Transposition by Olivier Messiaen (the title is usually listed by its French translation in catalogues...). This is a classical-style etude book, but has many applications to jazz as well. Seven different symmetrical scales are used for the etude book. They are:

Mode I: WWWWWW (Whole Tone Scale)
Mode II: HWHWHWHW (1/2 Step, Whole Step Diminished Scale)
Mode III: WHHWHHWHH
Mode IV: HHm3HHHm3H
Mode V: HM3HHM3H
Mode VI: WWHHWWHH
Mode VII: HHHWHHHHWH

It is a fun and rewarding book to practice from and the symmetrical scales yield some interesting harmonies and patterns.

Of course the be-all-end-all book on symmetrical scales and patterns is the Slominsky Thesarus of Scales and Melodic Patterns...but that's for another thread!

Aaron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts