Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We both played, talked alot and shared info and basically had a great time. Thats what this forum is all about in my opinion. K ( I am leaving him non public. K)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I think it's kind of unusual for people in an Internet forum to meet up. I did meet up with some guys in a Nissan 370Z forum and and we went for a crazy fast ride in the country. They were too wild driving-wise for me. I wouldn't do it again.

I know some people on Ugly Hedgehog, the photography site, meet occasionally. But all in all I think it's rare. Just like the number of people who actually post versus those who don't is about 50:1 I think the number who actually meet-up is even fewer.

Good for you for doing it. It can be awkward meeting a stranger, even one you share an interest with. But this comes from a confirmed introvert.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I actually met several folks from this forum in person. Some of them I knew already from somewhere else but I had no ideal they played sax until I followed up on either a Craigs List ad or just looked at the profile and put 2 and 2 together :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, this guy seemed safe and we had established a dialogue about our playing before he came over to my sisters house. It was all about learning something new. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
I think it's kind of unusual for people in an Internet forum to meet up. I did meet up with some guys in a Nissan 370Z forum and and we went for a crazy fast ride in the country. They were too wild driving-wise for me. I wouldn't do it again.

I know some people on Ugly Hedgehog, the photography site, meet occasionally. But all in all I think it's rare. Just like the number of people who actually post versus those who don't is about 50:1 I think the number who actually meet-up is even fewer.

Good for you for doing it. It can be awkward meeting a stranger, even one you share an interest with. But this comes from a confirmed introvert.
I don't, not here anyways. I met Danny Markovitch Slor, and Marbin because of this site, as well as several local players that I may not have known about otherwise, and will be meeting up with another forum member the next time I go to Ohio. Everyone here is just a sax nerd. Meeting up in a public place (usually a gig setting) is harmless as long as one uses a little discernment.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I used to run my own forum for computer hardware reviews and I met legions of forum contributors quite a few still are personal friends like Tom from Tom's hardware, Anand from Anandtech and many others. After almost 22 years, the ranks are thinning, we lost many good friends but there is still a core group of the original contributors that are sticking together

·
Registered
62 Posts
Keith - it was great meeting you and I appreciate your willingness for sharing your knowledge so freely. I think that having had the chance to view your video lessons/thoughts made it less scary for me. I am basically an introvert as well and don't usually do things like this but am glad I took the chance. So in this case totally worth the chance - hope we have the chance to meet up again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts