Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I discovered a leaky battery in my Zoom H4. I've tried cleaning the battery compartment with an assortment of brushes and other implements with no luck. I can power it up using the AC adapter so I know it still works.

I'm going to check with the manufacturer and see if it can be repaired, but wondering if anybody has any suggestions in the meantime?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saxhound, that's why I thought to check my H4 - we discovered leaky batteries in several other household items (insert joke here).

scotts - it's obvious now that you put it out there, but I never thought of contacting the source of the problem - the battery manufacturer. Thanks for the tip, I'll follow up with them.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Saxhound, that's why I thought to check my H4 - we discovered leaky batteries in several other household items (insert joke here).

scotts - it's obvious now that you put it out there, but I never thought of contacting the source of the problem - the battery manufacturer. Thanks for the tip, I'll follow up with them.
What kind and make of batteries were you using? Alkaline or rechargeable?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
This morning I discovered a leaky battery in my Zoom H4.
That really sucks, and like most folk here, I have had the same problem with batteries here in Aus. A certain well-known brand in the "AA" size seem to be terrible, you get 3 to 4 months and have to remember to pull the batteries or risk damaging the item they are in. Like Saxhound said, many years ago it was bad, then for years batteries just went flat, and now they self-destruct and take the device they are in with them.

I recently only just got the single "AA" out of my LedLensor mini torch by drilling a hole in the battery and used a cork screw to extract the battery. Fortunately there was only minor damage that I was able to clean up with my rarely used these days electronic PC board repair tools.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Since it still works with the AC adapter, that means the DC circuitry inside the unit still works. Are you *sure* you really have all the electrical contacts clean? It only takes a very small piece of non-conducting material (including corrosion) in one place to prevent a healthly electrical connection from a AA battery.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nearly all batteries these days are coming out of China, thanks to flexible rules regarding possible environmental damage and basically no manufacturer responsibility you can count on.

Over the last 2 years I had a couple of boxes of batteries where some have been leaking when I opened the box right after the purchase. It seems not to matter much if it is one of the old, high-price and good name brands. Even the consistency over a dozen batteries from the same pack usually is not given. 10-15 years ago they have been within a few %% of each other. :(

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since it still works with the AC adapter, that means the DC circuitry inside the unit still works. Are you *sure* you really have all the electrical contacts clean? It only takes a very small piece of non-conducting material (including corrosion) in one place to prevent a healthly electrical connection from a AA battery.
I wonder if they're clean, too. One end of the battery connection is buried pretty far down in the case. I've tried Q-tips and other implements to get in there but I can't be sure I got everything. Haven't gotten the courage up to take it apart to get all the way down there. Samson (manufacturer/distributor in US) will work on it for $50/hr. Duracell might replace it but I have to send the unit to them first. Still weighing my options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts