Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get a recorder for a while now to see my progress. I've been playing for about a year, which recorder would you guys suggest. This of course will not be used for gigs but I'd like to have some really good recording quallity for mouthpice/reed comparisons.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Then you'd be better off getting like a USB powered mic or adapter and recording to your pc. Honestly, the mic quality of the zoom recorders is crappy, and if you aren't planning on recordin in stereo live anywhere, spend the money and get a good mic that is USB powered or a shure 57 with a USB adapter.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I use the Audio Technica AT2020 USB, and it works great. I do use Zoom H2 and H4n for live applications, and have no complaints about the internal mics, if somewhat less than full-spectrum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
There have been several threads about the H2 and a couple regarding the newer H1. Several folks have reported high levels of satisfaction of them considering their costs and intended use. Perhaps not suitable for HQ/HD recording but capable enough for self-evaluations/progress comparisons.

I've got a little Olympus digital voice recorder that does ok for that. Playback on the unit it self is not great but down load to Garageband/Quicktime/Windows Media Player/RealPlayer and it gives me all I need to know about where my deficiencies are quite apparent.

Still, I would like the immediate feedback to be better and from all I've heard and read, either Zoom would be an upgrade, for me. Then it just depends on what your budget is.

Cheers & happy hunting!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the H2 is nice witht he 4 channel-built in recording.....of course you can do it with attached mics on the H1,which means essentially higher quality if you use quality mics....but for convienience the h2 is ready to go,and im quite pleased with the results.....just put it in the middl of the band,on the stage(hide it so the lead singer,or spastic saxophonist doesnt kick it) and your set

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have an H2 and love it. However, if your sole purpose is just to have a listen for progress rather than making a really great recording, the H1 is all you need. It is so much more portable than a laptop and you can certainly hook up whatever expensive microphone you like if you are not as happy with the built in microphones. I used cassette for this purpose years ago and it was fine. The H1 is way better than that. If you are always recording in a room that has either a laptop or desktop, the usb microphone would be a good option. Still, if you want the flexability to record yourself in the forest, the subway or in an underground parking lot (or anywhere else), the portability of the H1 or H2 really does make them attractive choices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Cost of H1 online ~$100USD
Cost of H2 online ~$145USD

Check out the feature sets of each online and see if the H2 is worth the extra money! The H1 is tiny but the H2 is really not very big either.

·
Registered
847 Posts
H2 is very easy to use, good quality sound, and very portable - suits me fine.

Blowhard2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Agreed - I was pleasantly surprised at how well the H2 works for the price. Last year, I edited and mastered a live "Big Band" recording that was captured on one. It turned out better than quite a few notable live albums recorded over the years and I didn't do much past the edit, but add compression and a bit of EQ. (Maybe some reverb but I don't remember).

The trick (when recording bands in small to mid-sized venues) seems to be to record with the mic gain set to low with no internal compression. You then have to fly it into some kind of editing software and "fix" it a bit, but still pretty amazing little devices. Correct placement is also a big factor in how good the end product will be.

I've also experimented with mine using the internal compression and it worked fine for practices etc...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, for $40 more, might as well get H2.

Appreciate the info. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts