Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Looks like converting to alto has caused my 1975-77 H-Couf Superba 1 to sit idle. Do any of you know an approximate value? The horn is in very good shape and plays from top to bottowm with ease. Original mouthpiece, a Couf 8* and original lig. No modifications have been made and yes the horn does have some finish wear. Also, what is a good place to offer for sale?

Thanks!

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts
Superba 1s can be great horns.

In terms of Ebay, for Superba 1s from the 70's, over the past two years, the sale prices generally have averaged between $1700.00-2200.00, with exceptions on either side.

These prices seem in line with those that have been sold via SOTW.
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=49079&highlight=superba

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=35388&highlight=superba

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=32598&highlight=superba

Dealer prices will vary depending on age, condition of the finish, etc. As a standard of comparison, Sarge at worldwidesax.com has one from your time period for sale.
http://www.worldwidesax.com/altos.htm

Hope the above has been of some assistance.

Also, with due apologies, I shall temporarily "hijack" this thread by noting that if anyone has an original vintage H-Couf tenor case for sale, I'd appreciate if you could contact me by PM. Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
:) it is a tenor and the original case
I prefer H.Couf Superba 1 over Keilwerth SX90R or SX90. Many of you will against me, but only ones who played it would tell you about how good those horns are. If you are lucky, you can find some exceptional playing horns. Those Couf Superba 1 played far better Selmer Mark VI tenor horns also. I owned one now. I would tell you that it plays like some good vintage Selmer Super Balace Action tenors. If you disagree with me, it is fine. But I hope you can find one that you will fall in love with it. You will miss it when you have to part with it. I saw some that was sold around $2300-$3200. I don't care about how it looks. I only care how it sounds. Good luck for those of you that own one of these pieces of history. Let me know if you have one. Mine is exceptional player.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I prefer H.Couf Superba 1 over Keilwerth SX90R or SX90. Many of you will against me, but only ones who played it would tell you about how good those horns are. If you are lucky, you can find some exceptional playing horns. Those Couf Superba 1 played far better Selmer Mark VI tenor horns also. I owned one now. I would tell you that it plays like some good vintage Selmer Super Balace Action tenors. If you disagree with me, it is fine. But I hope you can find one that you will fall in love with it. You will miss it when you have to part with it. I saw some that was sold around $2300-$3200. I don't care about how it looks. I only care how it sounds. Good luck for those of you that own one of these pieces of history. Let me know if you have one. Mine is exceptional player.
I agree.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this a pretty old post, but I picked up a very nice Superba I tenor today. SN 73XXX, so appears to be a 1974 horn. Has been a lot of fun so far! Paid around $1800 for it, that included a recent repad.

There really isn't that much info on the web on these horns, but they have gotten some really good reviews on the early-mid 70's horns. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I know this a pretty old post, but I picked up a very nice Superba I tenor today. SN 73XXX, so appears to be a 1974 horn. Has been a lot of fun so far! Paid around $1800 for it, that included a recent repad.

There really isn't that much info on the web on these horns, but they have gotten some really good reviews on the early-mid 70's horns. I am very happy with it.
Congratulations! You made out like a thief.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
I just put up a minty alto Superba 1 from mid 70s today also on eBay as of 2 hours ago if anyone is interested plays like a monster!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I am re Padding a beautiful Superba 1 Alto at the moment. New Pads and Tenor Madness Custom Resonators. It will be a Monster also!! I will be selling for a very respectable $2200. I put lots of time and love into my rebuilds. Shellac only on my work. email me at [email protected] Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts