Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H. Cleyton Madrid tenor saxophone. I played it in middle school because my mother had it when she was in school, so it’s been in the family for well over 50 years. I just can’t find any information regarding this brand. There was a thread on here that I found, but no replies to it. I mainly want to know how much it’s worth, and upkeep with it. We had taken it to get it professionally cleaned and repaired like 15 years ago, but it has been in storage for the last 7 years. I can’t find anyone local who works on saxophones.
Musical instrument Reed Saxophone Reed instrument Wind instrument

Musical instrument Reed instrument Blue Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

Drinkware Tableware Barware Fluid Glass bottle

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,616 Posts
You have what is called a "stencil" instrument. Cleyton was probably the name of the music store which sold the saxophone. not the maker.
Read this:

·
Registered
550 Posts
I cannot yet identify this saxophone (Czech, German ...).
Are there serial numbers on the neck and body of the saxophone?
Can you send a photo of this part, which I marked with an arrow?
Musical instrument Wind instrument Gold Brass instrument Saxophone

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,885 Posts
This saxophone appears top be a Kohlert Stencil, or at the very least have many of the Kohlert characteristics (while having some differences, mostly aesthetic such as the square palm keys and Eb-C (these last one are a reminder of much later Weltklang but I tend to think that other things are preponderant here) on accounts of several characteristics ( bell to body brace, this type was used in some earlier Kohlert-Amati later on there were different ones, but the so typical feature is the neck brace replicating the “ man in de moon” ( also used by Buescher but different)+ microtuner very typical of Kohlert). Remember that stencils were often a combination of older and newer features .

Also the key guards seem similar to the Kohlert model ’57. In my opinion it is a concoction of Kohlert elements , previously used in many models of different ages.

The original part is the palm Keys.

here see example on alto of the bell to body brace as it was used by Kohlert (identical to OP horn)

Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Reed Guitar accessory

this is the “ Man in the moon” neck brace, slightly different from Buescher, and the contemporary presence of a microtuner on a tenor screams Kohlert (there also examples without microtuner)

Automotive exhaust Musical instrument Nickel Pipe Composite material
Product Textile Bicycle handlebar Wind instrument Musical instrument

this a Kohlert tenor (different) with the same bell to body brace and neck but different everything else)

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Wood

these are the Guards of the Kohlert ‘57

Musical instrument Magenta Walking shoe Athletic shoe Font

·
41,885 Posts
This is another Cleyton alto, the same bell to body brace
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Musical instrument accessory Woodwind instrument
Drinkware Stemware Automotive lighting Barware Serveware

this is another one , this as well has a Eb-C group squarish reminiscent of Dolnet (but is certainly not dolnet)

Musical instrument Reed instrument Clarinet family Wind instrument Brass instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Folk instrument

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cannot yet identify this saxophone (Czech, German ...).
Are there serial numbers on the neck and body of the saxophone?
Can you send a photo of this part, which I marked with an arrow? View attachment 114358
I cannot for the life of me find any serial numbers. I’ve looked it up and down about a hundred times. The only other writing says “Brevete” so I don’t know if that means anything.
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Dress Brass instrument

Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Saxophonist Woodwind instrument

Wood Bag Gas Musical instrument Machine

Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Bicycle Automotive tire Bicycle fork

·
41,885 Posts
breveté means patented , there may be a serial number under some keys but knowing it or not won’t be fundamental to know anything , the left hand plateau resembles the one from Akustik which later was incorporated in Weltklang.

The Saxophone, whoever made IT, is Bohemian or German, worth whatever one wants to pay for it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This saxophone appears top be a Kohlert Stencil, or at the very least have many of the Kohlert characteristics (while having some differences, mostly aesthetic such as the square palm keys and Eb-C (these last one are a reminder of much later Weltklang but I tend to think that other things are preponderant here) on accounts of several characteristics ( bell to body brace, this type was used in some earlier Kohlert-Amati later on there were different ones, but the so typical feature is the neck brace replicating the “ man in de moon” ( also used by Buescher but different)+ microtuner very typical of Kohlert). Remember that stencils were often a combination of older and newer features .

Also the key guards seem similar to the Kohlert model ’57. In my opinion it is a concoction of Kohlert elements , previously used in many models of different ages.

The original part is the palm Keys.

here see example on alto of the bell to body brace as it was used by Kohlert (identical to OP horn)

View attachment 114361

this is the “ Man in the moon” neck brace, slightly different from Buescher, and the contemporary presence of a microtuner on a tenor screams Kohlert (there also examples without microtuner)

View attachment 114362 View attachment 114363

this a Kohlert tenor (different) with the same bell to body brace and neck but different everything else)

View attachment 114364

these are the Guards of the Kohlert ‘57

View attachment 114365
This is all so neat to learn! I know basically nothing. I only played in band for a few years in school before we moved to a school that didn’t have band and I quit trying to learn. Thank you for the info!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts
My guess on this one, and it has been noted already - if you sold it as-is you might get $250 for it (not because its bad but because it's obscure and the only folks who 'care' about these sorta European Stencils of Challenging Attribution are vintage sax nerds like many of us here....)

As a player, a German/Czech-likely stencil horn is quite respectable. My guess is it sounds massive, it's build is reliable, and its key response is ...OK ....but not exactly slick.

Given it was Mum's...IMHO I'd consider keeping it in the family. IF you wanna have it serviced to play shape, go for it. But beware - unless you have avery good relationship with a repair tech...the likelihood is most techs might give you an over -$500 repair estimate and say 'it's not worth it' or 'it's junk'. Both likely untrue.

But, there is a point where, for many owners, the market value of the instrument comes into play when determining how much they'd like to spend on repair. In cleaned-up, serviced, good-playing shape that sax can likely get $500 on the used market.

Given it had been serviced 15 years ago but stored for 7 then, it may well cost only around $250 to chem-bathe it and service it back into play-condition. But again you may need to shop around to find a tech who would do it for that amount - again, MOST techs upon seeing that horn would just more or less want you to leave their shop...lol.

Again all sorta depends on whether the sax has any personal value to you as a family heirloom....or whether you'd rather just cash it out and make a few buck$ on it.....

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Like @JayeLID said, if you're going by the monetary value of the horn alone, it may not be worth investing anything. But if you're looking at bringing a good horn back to life for less than what it would take to buy an equivalent quality instrument, it'll be worth every penny you put into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts