Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
Keilwerth ( the pants guard doesn’t appear to be original, the engraving of the bell shows what I believe to be heavy buffing signs)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for swift reply, i've seen a few suggestions online, it was the metal clothes guard that was making me unsure. The 'buffing' isn't that bad, it is more shadow. Regards

·
38,812 Posts
If you had been running a search with the local search engine you would have found several previous threads an Bundy Specials made by Keilwerth.

The pants guard was probably made of acrylic and as it so often happened with those it cracked at some point and was replaced by this strange contraption.

The lacquer appears very pale in color and combined with the buffing I think this was relacquered at some point.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's about right, I see some makers used metal, but not quite that shape? The sax works well, i'll keep an eye out for a 'proper' guard. I think some Arta Guban models had a similar thing.

·
38,812 Posts
Keilwerth used metal guards too at some point.

It shouldn’t be too difficult to find one, but I don’t see the point of absolute originality for a horn like this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
It actually is really hard to find an original plexi clothesguard. You can have a plastics place or machinist fabricate one for you to fit the holes. Not easy to find an original JK metal one either, at least not here in US. Maybe easier on your side of pond (?)

If the metal guard on it now is solid and holds tight, I wouldn't bother changing it, honestly.

It is a tossup as to whether this is a relacq. The engraving looks pretty sharp; I do agree that the hue of the lacq is a bit lighter than what one typically finds on one of these.

Nice horn, enjoy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts