Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through Naxos recently and came across a recording by the West Coast Saxophone Quartet called "All The Sax You've Ever Dreamed Of" One of the tracks on the album is Gymnopedie #1, one of my all time favorite pieces by French composer Erik Satie. I've scoured the web for sheet music because I would really love to have this piece for my own group. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it? Or would someone be able to reproduce it? I'm not very skilled at transcribing myself.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can get it here scored for sax quartet:

http://www.4a4quartet.com/scorch.php?id=24&title=Gymnopedie 1

All three of them are there and if you have Scorch installed you can listen to it while it 'plays' the score. OK it'll cost you a few pennies, but I can recommend this web site, it's very reliable and downloading after buying the score and parts is very easy. Just Click on 'Quartets' at the top of the page to see everything available.

Hope this helps

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,212 Posts
+1 for 4a4!

Peter is spot on, 4a4 scores are outstanding and the site is very reliable. If you have any problems whatsoever, they are very prompt in solving any issue.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yep, I'll drink to that Cymru. I've bought around 40 scores and parts from 4a4 for my quartet over the last four of five years. I just love Philippe Marillia's arrangements, they're clever, witty and always entertaining. I have one or two issues with his difficulty ratings though. Some of his 1-3s I'd put at 4-6 and vice versa. His 7-8s are always 7-8 though!!! The other excellent source of sax quartet scores and parts are the Fairer Sax Ensemble Books 1, 2 and 3 arranged by Karen Street. They're scored for (S/A), A, A, T so they're good for quartets without a bari. Sorry to drift off your topic bluetrane, but thought this might be useful to you too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.