Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm having response issues with my GW Custom .100" Blue Tenor piece. It's the one with a medium chamber. It sounds like a HR Link, but with more focus, clarity, and brightness. I am using Vandoren ZZ 3.0 reeds with it, and it's hard to play anything with finesse, especially in the low register. I'm primarily an alto player, using a Rast .096" soloist with Java 2.5 reeds. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm also an alto player doubling on tenor. Why are you using so much stiffer reeds on tenor? A Java 2.5 is about the equivalent of a ZZ 2.0, so you're effectively up two strengths on tenor. That would tend to create more resistance and make the low end harder to play.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
I play Gregs Blue Custom HR link in .100 and use 2.5 and sometimes 3.0 plasticovers on mine and have never had an issue with it being resistant. In fact it feels wide bore open and responds beautifully. Contact Greg Wier and have him look it over, he's very good at that sort of thing.

B

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never thought that the reed strength scale is different on tenor than alto. That's why I bought the 3.0 reeds. 0.100" seems like a medium tip opening, I figured the 3.0 reeds were a medium strength. I've known players to use ZZ 4.0 reeds on a metal 7* Link. So java 2.5 reeds would fit the bill?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
So java 2.5 reeds would fit the bill?
Who knows, give it a try. Its too personal for anyone to guess -- including the poster above -- whether a particular strength, brand, and tip would work for you. But, your problem does sound reed brand/strength related to me too, so go experiment a bit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh G.A.S., why do you love me so? I will grab a box of RJS 3S and Java 2.5 to start. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Your alto setup is quite open .... You're probably used to being able to subtone easily down low, especially with the soft reeds. For a similar feel on tenor you might want more like a .110 - .115 with a softer reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I agree with "wells". I play a .115 on Bari, w/a soft BARI reed, .108 on Tenor w/a Med Soft BARI (a BARI * shaved to Med Soft stregth), .085 w/a Med BARI* and .080 w/a Hard BARI on Alto, and a .065 w/a 3 1/2 on Fibracell on Soprano.

The tips are all very comparable w/in the sax sizes this way, making switching saxes in a set much easier!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your alto setup is quite open .... You're probably used to being able to subtone easily down low, especially with the soft reeds. For a similar feel on tenor you might want more like a .110 - .115 with a softer reed.
That's what my professor and I have decided on. The GW piece is now up for grabs on ebay.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
That's what my professor and I have decided on. The GW piece is now up for grabs on ebay. (referring to tip size)
Amazing how that works huh :) ? Baffle size, and facing length, have a large baering on tip size as well (my newest Tenor piece is at a .110, the Drake Studio piece).

Going for another GW, just in a larger tip?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going for another GW, just in a larger tip?
Perhaps at a later date when I have to play tenor again. I will get by using one of my professor's mouthpieces for the conference. When I purchase a tenor sax, I will investigate several options, such as a Rast Soloist, a Morgan 9E/EL, JodyJazz HR 8, etc. Fred Rast told me about what he does to those tenor soloists, completely reworking everything on them. It's a huge tip opening, and a bored out chamber, but it's such a big, effortless sound.

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
I have a GW 6HR and it is more resistant than I prefer. I can play easier on a JJ 10HR or a Morgan Excalibur 9EL. Maybe I got a dud GW, but it's not one of my favorite pieces as I prefer a free blowing effortless piece.

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
I have a GW 6HR and it is more resistant than I prefer. I can play easier on a JJ 10HR or a Morgan Excalibur 9EL. Maybe I got a dud GW, but it's not one of my favorite pieces as I prefer a free blowing effortless piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts