Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a Guy Humphrey parts clarinet in their stash? I got around to re padding one of these and somehow a pivot screw is missing. I have dozens of clarinets in the graveyard not to mention a tin full of random pivot screws, nothing matches! They were using an uncommon thread I suppose.

Anyway I know I can make a new one one but its rather time consumptive and I'm super busy right now, putting out that kind of time for this instrument doesn't make sense. I'd be in to buying a parts horn or just the screw. Let me know, thanks!

Mk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure if this is any help, but guy Humphrey sounds like a stencil. Among the major makes of stencils were: Couesnon, Leblanc, Buffet, Malerne, and SML. If you can find what make of clarinet shares the details of your Guy Humphrey you can probably find parts that fit. Wish I could be more help, I have some old Albert system clarinets I'm on a similar journey.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know Guy Humphrey *seems* to be a stencil but I've had a few of them through my workshop, they've all been decent instruments and I've never been able to say they were obviously made by any of the other major manufacturers. They're also fairly common, which is why I figured there might be someone out there with a "parts" clarinet who could help me out.
Mk

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Possibly the best info you might get on Guy Humphreys is here, but still not who made them: http://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php?topic=1331.0

How about a photo of a similar pivot screw from the instrument, alongside a metric ruler.
If the instrument is a stencil then it is likely that well-stocked technicians will have it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I don't know where you're located, but a small investment in a collection of metric and US thread nuts can help you identify the thread. You can also buy regular screws and try in the post till you determine what the thread is. (For little tiny screws it's really hard to use a thread gauge to distinguish between threads that are very close to each other, especially if the screw has only a few threads on it.)

In the US I would order from McMaster-Carr and/or Metric and Multistandard Components Corp.

Of course, if you start with a regular machine screw of the correct thread it's easier to make a pivot screw than if you go from scratch; I've done this at home a couple times with reasonable results, but I really really wished I had a small lathe while I was doing it. Having been a corporate gypsy for the last 35 years I've never been able to set up the basement machine shop I really want. Someday...

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Also, if it's a cheap clarinet you could consider retapping the post for a thread that you have pivot screws for. If you can find one that's visually very different from the rest, it would be obvious to future repair people that this one is different. I have a sax like that, where one key has non-original posts that have completely different pivot screws. Works just fine although it's not original condition. (I've only been playing that particular horn since 1978, so I suppose the fix hasn't been totally proven yet, but pretty near to it...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts