Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a suggestion here, but I recently worked on a horn that had a tendency to gurgle on low D and also seemed to want to jump an octave on middle G. I checked it for over an hour with a leak light, and nothing. Next I took a good look at the octave pip on the body and neck to make sure they weren't leaking at the solder. Again nothing. I then figure maybe the neck is leaking, but The neck was a very good fit in the tenon, so I decided to expand the bottom of the neck to make sure it was sealing for sure. Voila, there was a very small leak around the bottom of the neck that was letting air escape. Just thought I would post this as a useful note, that when everything else fails in this situation take a look at the neck seal, because even if the neck fits tight at the clamp, it still could be leaking at the bottom.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It points up the commonly mistaken belief that a tight neck means a good seal.
The function of the clamp is merely to prevent the neck from rotating in the socket, and has little if any bearing on how well the joint seals.
I've seen plenty of necks that won't turn when the clamp is done up, and yet you can rock them back and forth in the socket.

Regards,

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,131 Posts
I'm not a tech, but if ever I suspect a leak that doesn't show with the normal checks, looping some self amalgamating tape around the tenon or bow joints will quickly show if the problems are caused there.

It's true, non-pad caused leaks often get neglected as people do sometimes think a leak light is the be-all and end-all of leak detection.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hmmm! Interesting..... this was a little detail that I wasn't aware of (and probably answers my nagging question of gurgling on the low D and octave jumps on middle A! Time to get my alto out and check...)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,619 Posts
What is the most effective temporary solution to a slightly loose neck/tenon until you can get it to a tech?
Plumbers teflon tape, probably. In the past I used cork grease to verify a leak (response/tone improved greatly on a leaking neck joint when grease applied) but that's super temporary.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
What is the most effective temporary solution to a slightly loose neck/tenon until you can get it to a tech?
Well, it's a bit tricky trying to wrap anything around the tenon as it will get torn off when you put it in the socket...unless it's that loose, in which case it's probably academic.

You could try wrapping something around the joint when it's assembled - like the tape Pete Thomas mentioned - but that's a bit of a faff.

Your best bet will probably be some kind of stiff grease. A thick cork grease will probably do - not sure that the more solid kind would work that well though.
Vaseline might just work at a pinch.
You could always raid the bathroom cabinet...there are lots of things like 'body butter' and skin creams that would have the right consistency.
You will need to clean the grease off each time you put the horn away though, otherwise things could get very messy.

Regards,

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Just to clarify... my Super 20 does not have any issues. It is still playing great a year after the guys at Tenor Madness brought it back to life. There are a couple of friends that I suspect are having this issue and I was needing a way to verify the condition so they would be convinced they need a tech to look at their horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,619 Posts
Just to clarify... my Super 20 does not have any issues. It is still playing great a year after the guys at Tenor Madness brought it back to life. There are a couple of friends that I suspect are having this issue and I was needing a way to verify the condition so they would be convinced they need a tech to look at their horns.
Cork grease is the easiest way to do it. I was shocked by how much better my horn sounded when I tried it. I imagine if they have this issue, they will be just as surprised.

·
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think cork grease is probably the best or vaseline. I wouldn't use too much, but if you want to use it make sure the surface is dry before you add it on, or else the moisture will cause it to not conform properly.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,994 Posts

·
2,607 Posts
I'm going to have to come up with something like the neck leak isolator. I've placed a piece of plastic wrap over the bell and fastened it with a rubberband and then played low Bb while sucking on the neck to test the overall tightness of the socket and pads, but it doesn't pinpoint the problem (although varying the pressure on the keys can sometimes find difficult to locate leaks).

Having a real tech tighten the neck on my TrueTone fixed a stuffy D2 that I fought for a few years. I suspect that stuffy D's, unstable G's, and low down gurgling are all routinely caused by neck leaks.

Mark

·
2,607 Posts
I found just the thing. I'd used the bigger ones when plumbing. Google:

TTB075S

It's an inflatable plug for pressure testing 3/4 to 1 1/4" pipes (i.e., the necks on alto, tenor, baritone, etc.). One size fit's all. Perfect. Too bad they seem to be out of stock.

Mark

Mark

·
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My friend Mark Vandermark said a balloon would work....fill it with air and stuff it in the bell then use a magnehelic machine to check. I just dont know how clean a result you would get because background is gonna be high on a tube as big as a sax.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a small dent at the bottom of my neck's tenon. I think it is causing my high G to make a gurgling sort of sound that sounds like crappy growling. How can I fix this temporarily?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts