Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! Long time lurker minimalist poster. I am looking for any opinions on possible mouthpiece options. I am primarily a R&B/Rock player and primarily use a Runyon Quatum. What I am looking for is to add a darker-toned mouthpiece that is still loud enough to compete with an electric band. Any opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Paul

Edited for Grammer:tsk:

·
Registered
41 Posts
a friend prescribed berg larsen to me. i too play in a band. though we play RnB mostly.the occasional latin music and slow love songs has its terms

when i tried it on my mark VII i think it played good
thats my opinion d=)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
It depends on how dark you're talking about. I can play a Link in a rock/R&B situation and be just fine. In fact, I've sold off all of my high baffle mouthpieces.

The RPC suggestion is a good one. A Jody Jazz DV Chi is another good one, though expensive.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you've got the dough, SR Tech makes some really good mouthpieces. The "Pro" is darker than most peashooters but has a lot of power and cut when you need it. The "Fusion" has a higher baffle than the Pro but is still probably not as extreme as a Runyon Quantum.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd recommend an E Rosseau metal jazz series piece. Mine is plenty dark with a soft reed and a Rovner lig, but will still get some serious cutting edge to the sound when needed. Or, a Rico Metalite. Basically, play everything you can until something clicks. It's hard for anyone to say what will work for you.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
That's an easy one: RPC. Call Ron and tell him what you're looking for and you'll be all set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts