Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess the setup of the lead tenor! This player is playing on a Series III tenor with a JAVA 3 reed. My question to you is if you can guess the mouthpiece! Choices are:

-Otto Link TE 7
-Berg M 105/2
-Runyon Custom 7
-Brilhart "Modern" Levelaire 8
-Meyer 9M
-Barone "Jazz" 7

To give some context, this recording comes from the 2011 PMEA All-State Jazz festival. He is a total killer, it makes me happy to see the wealth of jazz talent in the state.

File found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6hiq7qp0387op5m

Enjoy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Re: Guess the Setup

You aren't serious, are you?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote from CarlHeanerd:
Join Date Mar 2009
Location Adams County, PA
Posts 1,050 Guess the Setup
I challenge the forum to guess this band's lead tenor's setup. Mouthpiece, horn, reed, ligature if you can. Kudos to anyone who gets it right.

For some context, this is a recording of "Too Late... The Mambo", from PMEA's All-State jazz concert. That was truly an amazing show, so much youth talent in this state. I'd love to have an ounce of it, when it comes to jazz

Saxiphoniste du Classiques

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You aren't serious, are you?
I've seen plenty of threads like this. But if it is a problem, I'll delete the post.

Sorry.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts

CarlHeanerd, I challenge you to guess my height, my weight and the color of the underwear that I'm wearing right now. Should be easy ...

·
2,319 Posts

I've seen plenty of threads like this. But if it is a problem, I'll delete the post.

Sorry.
Well, it's just so many variables thrown in at one time. If you said, " Guess the horn, and gave us a few options, at least there might be a chance of success and may even be fun and challenging, but virtually impossible as you have written it. Just saying...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thread renamed and OP edited to make sense. My apologies, I'm new to this kind of thread.

·
2,319 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Okay, I'm thinking the set up will have a certain degree of "surprise factor," so I'm going to go out on a limb a bit with my guesses:

This player is using an Allora saxophone (gold lacquer), a Saxgourmet Blues Blaster mouthpiece, Flavoreed 3 (Piña Colada), Bois Classique ligature, and a Neotech Neo Sling strap.

·
5,903 Posts
Okay, I'm thinking the set up will have a certain degree of "surprise factor," so I'm going to go out on a limb a bit with my guesses:

This player is using an Allora saxophone (gold lacquer), a Saxgourmet Blues Blaster mouthpiece, Flavoreed 3 (Piña Colada), Bois Classique ligature, and a Neotech Neo Sling strap.
You forgot to mention the Ray Ban shades...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whatever the player is using he or she sounds great
Yes quite talented. Shows what shedding can do. He's going to Temple for Jazz Studies, actually.

·
5,903 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
and no underwear :twisted:
I think that player is wearing underwear (you can especially hear it in some of the high notes), but I think it's something a bit unusual. It sounds like that player is wearing a black mesh, or even fishnet, bikini-style brief. And that underwear is definitely made out of some sort of polyester blend or other type of synthetic material. I'm not hearing anything that makes me believe that guy is sporting natural fiber underwear -- at least in that sound clip.

·
5,903 Posts
I think that player is wearing underwear (you can especially hear it in some of the high notes), but I think it's something a bit unusual. It sounds like that player is wearing a black mesh, or even fishnet, bikini-style brief. And that underwear is definitely made out of some sort of polyester blend or other type of synthetic material. I'm not hearing anything that makes me believe that guy is sporting natural fiber underwear -- at least in that sound clip.
Come on, Buck, don't you know that underwear material doesn't make any difference in the sound?!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts