Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay SOTW:

Here's the deal- I have a Guardala Super King (gold plated) that I got about 5 years ago from WWBW. I love the power, liked the mid register, tolerated the low end, but hated the pinched top end and overall sharpness of the tone. Literally, the piece seemed to always blow sharp. I thought it was just me and my set-up, but our other tenor player jammed on it and noticed it as well. You have to have it hanging onto the cork for dear life to get it in tune!!!

Anyway, I want to know if there is any possibility of having it reworked to sound like the older handmade Super Kings?! Something I'd not have to wonder, "hmm, should I hit that altissimo B and chance it sounding like I just ran over a poodle in the street?!"

I have a very nice Durga 9 that I love the versatility of. But I had always been drawn to the power that the Super King had!

Anyone know if this is possible- like, what needs to be done to the piece? And who should do the work?

If you've had something like this done, post your experience!!!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really. Darn, man, someone tell Boney James he never played that King R&B... you know, the one that's not in his case! Ha ha!

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
The WW&BW LT line are good CNC copies of handmade mouthpieces selected by Guardala. Handmades vary some, but most handmade Super Kings will be similar to the LT version. Not enough difference to fix the problems you are having with the very bright small chamber design.

I think you should try out some of the other Guardala LTs to see if you get along better with them. Your SK can be converted into another design. But it will be cheaper to sell it and just purchase another design that works better for you.

Try a MB2. If it is too dark, try a Studio. If the MB2 is too bright, try a Crescent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Really. Darn, man, someone tell Boney James he never played that King R&B... you know, the one that's not in his case! Ha ha!
That's not a "Super King", now is it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts