81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
I doubt the 402 will fit the Ponzol as I was able to use the Selmer 404 on my Ponzols, but I already had a nice Brancher lig that works on Ponzols. The 404 is the lig for tenor standard sized metal pieces.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I've never played one of the old Ponzols, been keeping an eye out for the old M1 on sale for a reasonable price.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,060 Posts
I doubt the 402 will fit the Ponzol as I was able to use the Selmer 404 on my Ponzols, but I already had a nice Brancher lig that works on Ponzols. The 404 is the lig for tenor standard sized metal pieces.
The Wanne lig. I have when tightened on the Guardala also fits the Ponzol. I guess I will see if I need to get a 402 also. Maybe a I need a 403 1/2?

B

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Little confused now.

What do you think of a MBII Guardala Brian? I'm getting one from Sakshama at a .112 Silver Plated, If I like it I'm going to keep it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Also, I've fallen in love with La Voz Mediums with my Guardala....Feels like the holy grail.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,060 Posts
Little confused now.

What do you think of a MBII Guardala Brian? I'm getting one from Sakshama at a .112 Silver Plated, If I like it I'm going to keep it.
Never played the MBII but a buddy plays a Sakshama alto and the sound is incredible, and I really mean wow incredible on his cannonball alto.

B

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Ok got my 402 today. Even with the screws completely removed I cant slide the 402 past the beak if there is a reed on the table. I know it needs to be tightened slowly over 2 weeks once it is in place but I can't even get it on over the beak with the reed in place. Making sure I have the ligature in the correct place, if you are looking straight at the moughpiece tip from the front the lig screws will be bottom right. Seems that's how it "should" fit, is this correct? Also what is the black silk piece of cloth for in the ligature baggy?

Notice the gap near the thumbscrew portion of the lig? Not sure if this is normal or not.

I sprayed both screws when I had them removed with WD-40 as the screws seemed dry and turning them were like nails on a chalkboard, squeaking badly. Also the top screw has a weird brown stain on the one side which was like that as soon as I removed it from the lig prior to lubing it.

As you can see I can't get the reed all the way on the table so it is sticking out pretty far until the metal loosens up (hopefully).

Side view you can see the lig isn't pushed on far enough as well as the reed not being where it needs to be. The only way to get them in proper place is with the screws completely removed and then the screws cannot gho back in and get tightened as the holes do not line up as they are angled away.

Here is the last side pic. I'm not very knowledgeable with metal MPs in general, but shouldn't the lig angle sort of follow the way the beak angles? Seems like it goes opposite from this. Hopefully I'm not doing it wrong and this needs to be reversed and inverted to work correctly... I actually tried fitting it that way before I took the pictures and it didn't seem to fit the MP at all even without a reed.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,060 Posts
I got my 402 yesterday, put it on the Guardala and within 1 hour the thing was ready to rock n roll. I did not get any actual playing time last night because we had a crazy monsoon that knocked out our power all night. I did get to spend about 45 minutes this afternoon and have to report that I should kick myself for not doing this two months ago.

BTW, I did not have to use WD-40, brute force or remove the screws.

Also the sound is even better than the TW enlightened ligature I had been using. More expressive, and even a bit brighter and more free blowing. Best of all the reed stays in place!!!!!!

B

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Modman what would you suggest for mine? Does it look correct in the direction of the lig and whatnot?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,885 Posts
1) You don't need TWO WEEKS! Metal does not creep at room temperature.

2) Take off the tape. That is making a huge difference in the diameter of the mouthpiece.

3) Find out what reeds others are using on this piece.

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
So is the black silk piece needed to keep the lig from scratching? Are you referring to the blue translucent tape on the mouthpiece?

I've read La Voz or Rico reeds are thinner but I don't have any handy, just Vandorens.

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
Ok I found a Rico reed and took off the blue tape. Is the black silk necessary? Would be great if they had it stuck on the inside of the ligature so it doesn't slide around. In any event I can get the reed in the right place now and the lig is on all the way.

Does everyone use the black silk piece like my picture or no?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Go for an Oleg lig. One of the best ligs for Guardala pieces. Well worth the money. Put it on, tighten the screws and just let her take off

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,885 Posts
The lig shouldn't slide - no silk or other necessary.

Now work the sides of the lig with a reed or popsicle stick to get it to conform to the body of the mouthpiece.

No need to wait for two weeks. I don't know where that came from (and stuck). I addressed the matter in the previous thread when the "two weeks" came up the first time. Argggggggggggggghhhhh...

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
DR G. you misunderstood me, the black silk slides when trying to put on the lig over the mouthpiece. Once the lig is tightened it doesn't move at all. The sides conform the mouthpiece fine especially pushed back the way I usually keep my lig on pieces. There is a tiny bit of a gap at the bottom sides but I can't see how a popsicle stick in there will make it conform to the piece any better and stretching the metal that way will make the gap larger when using it without the popsicle stick.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm not sure why you are using the black silk (are you worried about scratches?), my 402 never came with any black silk, I just slid it on the mouthpiece.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,060 Posts
wats up with popsicle stix, cloth and two weeks? LOL

i put my on and BAM it worked. its a ligature for ***sake not a girdle.

BTW, I use plasticover reeds.

B

81 - 100 of 130 Posts