Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this one ?

http://www.sax-ccessories.com/products/183/GUARDALA-PMS.html

e.g. Compared to a very good Dukoff D8 ( or better to a Saxworks) ?

exists also in gold ( don't know the main difference appart from the price :bluewink:)

Any experiences ?

Thanks

Note : 'm not talking here about the real vintage Guardala Studio they are out of price !!!
this one cost $450 it is relatively expensive but it is still affordable if it is a monster pice like a saxworks

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I have only seen a Crescent LT Tenor mouthpiece by PMS. It was very good, though different than the WW&BW LTs, which are also very good IMO. There are not WW&BW alto sax LTs so if you must have one, PMS is it. I would try to see if you can get one used in the $300-$350 range. I do not think they are worth $450.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I did use to have a PMC alto Crescent mouthpiece and it was very good. I suppose you can expect the same quality from the Studio model.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I played one for a while and even though it had all the sonic attributes you would expect, somehow it lacked character....i went back to a Dukoff!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I played one for a while and even though it had all the sonic attributes you would expect, somehow it lacked character....i went back to a Dukoff!
That's interesting because I play a Saxworks (same characteristics than a very good refaced Dukoff)

"SELMER" How is the chamber compared to the dukoff , it is smaller, then a more centered and less interesting sound isn't it (with less harmonics) ? or is it maybe too bright ?

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
The Studio design has a similar baffle to the Dukoff/Saxworks. Except the D/S has a roll-over (higher baffle) near the tip rail. This gives more "highs" in the sound and can make a high baffle mouthpiece chirpy for some players.

The throat area of the Studio is a round squeaze design. It is similar in size to the D/S but they are a different shape. Their throat constriction is accomplished with a "wart" on the bottom and some sidewall squeaze in that area. I have some photos of the Guardala on my site.

http://www.mojomouthpiecework.com/Photos/tabid/59/AlbumID/386-170/Default.aspx

The Guardala and Saxworks will usually have better facing curves on them than the Dukoff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts