Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Birdland Music in Catskill, NY had one some time back...

Could be that it is still there... (this one was a Guardala Bari).
Lovely horn, but it was out of my price range.

Search Birdland Music to find the page.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
Morry, unless I am mistaken, this is the shop that was asking over 5K for the bari....
Still it is worth a look-see....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
404 Posts
I don't know if Birdland has any Guardala Baris, as I bought the bari from them last year. I got a good deal and it plays great. I liked it so much I bought a Guardala tenor. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still considering a Guardala or B&S bari. Anyone want to share their experiences and comparisons with either of these against one of the big 4.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Morry,
I can check with the US distributor for the Chicago Jazz Series(B&S) horns on Monday and find out what kind of discount they can do on the Bari, the last Alto &tenor they sent me were both awesome horns and I can't imagine the Bari not to be great also. Or you could try wwbw, last I checked they do carry the CJS horns.
rick

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am a Pearl flute dealer, and the CJS horns are distributed by Orpheus music also, so I have dealt with those some(just can't afford to stock them). I will cal Monday am to see what kind of deal they can do, as it changes. Sometimes I can meet wwbw prices, sometimes not, depends on the distributor. I'll let you know.

·
3,862 Posts
Do those CJS baris come in the sand finish or black nickle?
The sand finish would be pretty awesome looking and sounding I dare say.

·
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Randall said:
Do those CJS baris come in the sand finish or black nickle?
The sand finish would be pretty awesome looking and sounding I dare say.
Yeah, until you drained that spit valve about a hundred times and it got all splotchy. Actually, I understand that they now have a coat of satin lacquer over the sand finish. Is that correct?

·
Registered
70 Posts
B&S i.e. Guardala

Actually, if anyone is interested, I think WWBW has 2 Guardala baris in stock in gold lacquer. They are what they call B-Stock.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Are these Guardalas made by B&S in Germany? I remember a thread somewhere else but couldn't find it. Why aren't there more of these if they are such great horns at reasonable prices?

·
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They were made by VMI (maker of B&S), but are no longer in production. There are a few remaining unsold ones around the country if you look. Miles Ahead in Louisville has access to several altos and tenors.

·
3,862 Posts
According to Dave Guardala (via Branford Marsalis), Dave is going to make horns again...just a matter of time.
I got this info about a year ago....

·
3,862 Posts
Hey Morry,
I want pix and a full report when she comes...you dog!
I think you are going to be one VERY happy camper!

·
Forum Contributor 2006 Distinguished SOTW Member
919 Posts
Morry - have you considered a WWBW Allora bari? a friend of mine who is an insider in the german sax business, has told me that the allora bari, is basically a b&s(vmi)medussa stencil, so with the right set up, you might have a killer horn, for less than many pro mfg's student model........

·
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After sending the Guardala bari back, I'm sure I'm going to wait until I can manage a Keilwerth. I'm accustomed to the JK keywork now, and don't want to swap around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts