Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Anybody would know what Guardala model is this? It is a hand-made one, early 80s I guess. It has an interesting shape: a long step-baffle which opens very quickly into a large throught. It is somewhat similar to a Super-King, but not quite a Super-King.. Can somebody help? Do you think it is a standard one, or was it "customised"?

Story: It was coming with a 5-digit Mk VI that I bought second hand in a shop 15 years ago; interestingly, the Mark VI was coming with a non-matching silver neck... the mouthpiece is powerful and with a very nice tone. I would love to know a bit more about this piece. The whole setting was like a replica of a M. Brecker set-up.

On a second note: I might need to have somebody to correct some details to make it play more evenly, there are some sign of age: who would be the right person to work on this type of mouthpiece? (I am in UK)

Thanks! Andy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
Looks like some kind of Brecker model to me. It's not one of his 'standard' later models. The Brecker model had a shorter and lower baffle than that usually. Mojo is the person to ask about this!

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
The Studio has a squeezed throat. Since he said it "opens very quickly into a large throught[sic]", I think it would be called a MB2.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hmm, looks sorta like one I have except the one I have is in mint condition.......cause I don't really use it right now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uhmmm.....
I found this very nice pictures of different Guardala models:
http://www.mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Guardala.html
Doesn't it look more like a "Custom" than a "MB II", according to these pictures?
I can actually see a serial number (almost disappeared) it says "160" and above the number there is engraved "S". At the center, the almost disappeared engraving reports "D" and right below "G".

If so, does this mean that this was a custom order?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing I can read on the shank is (in dotted letters):
(a) at the center of the shank
D
G

(b) on the right of this,
S

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DG: Deutsche Grammophone? kidding ...

Could S be for Studio? Does the rest of the characteristics make sense for a Studio?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
Sorry Andrea, I edited my post when I realised that you'd already answered the question!

S is a bit curious. It looks like some sort of custom piece to me. The later Studio models were marked ST - Studio Tenor, the altos being marked SA. 160 is the serial number. I have a King alto model which is 17XXX, again with hand engraving. No wonder he went nuts!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am looking at the engraving again ... the mystery is becoming interesting ..
What I actually see is "S ..."
An "S" followed by dots. The dots are at the bottom level of the "S", thus my question: how does the engraving "ST" is supposed to look like? "ST" with two contiguous letters on the same level, or something more like
S
T
so that I might see only the top of the "T" ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts