Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Yes, they sound very similiar. But I think the King sounds best/fatter/bigger. Did you play a Studio before?

·
2,077 Posts
How a new mouthpiece sounds when you play it depends alot on what you play now. In other words, you may sound better on the king if you play some kind of pea shooter Dukoff now. That doesnt mean that the mbII isnt a better piece for you in the long run. I think you sound better on the king, but that could be explained by "familiarity" of it's feel for instance. (I don't know anything about you) For a dude who plays a link, for instance, the king may feel way brighter and too edgy compared to the less severe MBII...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i had the opposite experience,but in your case i go for the king too!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Better on the King but you sound like you are working way too hard on both of these pieces - what strength reed are you using?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,470 Posts
I found Guardala mouthpieces to be quite uncontrollable at first and my first impression was it was way too bright but once you play them for a while it does change. My point being that after playing both of them for awhile might help YOU decide which one will work best for YOUR purposes.

B

·
2,077 Posts
I agree with Mrpb, which is why I'm puzzled because I find the King super bright and edgy, much more so than the mbII.

·
2,077 Posts
You think if you were stuck on a desert island with that mbII, it would sound as sweet if not sweeter once you adjusted/committed to it?

This is why assessing mouthpieces is so tough, sometimes it's not the piece that sounds better immediately that is actually better in the long run for you. When I have students try a bunch of mouthpieces to fit them with a new piece,they usually like the new piece that most resembles their old one the most.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The king sounds like a much better piece. Drop down a 1/2 size in reed and you should be stylin. If you got the cheese.... Send'em both back and get a handmade king.... There's nothing better to me than a handmade king. The handmade ones really add a whole diff. level of complexity to the sound.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your advice, always nice to get some extra set of ears from fellow sax players. Honestly, the mouthpieces came in the mail from wwbw, my wife took my daughter out , i finally had the house to myself so i just recorded this from my camcorder. Havent spent much time with them. In the 80's i was pro dukoff, late 90's i did Guardala studio and most recently the Jody Jazz DV7*. I found the DV to be alot of work keeping in tune and i didnt like the upper register. Im diggin on these pieces. I was leaning towards the MBII cause i feel like i can push it more and i was thinking it sounded as bright as the King but with a little more core to the sound. Umm i think the reed is a RJS 3S. My old Studio, LT, i just dont like for whatever reason. Mouthpieces sound different on gigs, in the practice room and in the studio so looking for something to give me all my needs. I hate trying out mouthpieces and fussing with reeds, so i appreciate all the advice

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You will always sound the same no matter what us your setup.
The sound you hear in your head dictates the sound you put out.
The mpc is only a tool to help you get the sound out.
You prefer one over another because it feels easier for to bring out your sound.
The MB2 has a step baffle with a chamber that is larger than the King. The King has a bullet chamber.
The different interiors channel your air in different ways.
It's all very personal.
I've played a King for quite some time now.
It's a very flexible piece.
I can make it Dexter Gordonish when I play ballads.
Or I can sweeten it with lots of subtones for my smooth jazz playing.
Dave Guardala is a genius.

·
3,535 Posts
The MBII sounds like less work and more payoff to my ears too. The King sounds less free, atleast with that setup.

·
2,077 Posts
You will always sound the same no matter what us your setup.
The sound you hear in your head dictates the sound you put out.
The mpc is only a tool to help you get the sound out.
You prefer one over another because it feels easier for to bring out your sound.
The MB2 has a step baffle with a chamber that is larger than the King. The King has a bullet chamber.
The different interiors channel your air in different ways.
It's all very personal.
I've played a King for quite some time now.
It's a very flexible piece.
I can make it Dexter Gordonish when I play ballads.
Or I can sweeten it with lots of subtones for my smooth jazz playing.
Dave Guardala is a genius.
I wouldn't go that far . . . a good craftsman, maybe . . . and a felon.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You sound good on both Scotty but as Mojo said the proof is on the gig. When I practice at home it always sounds different what what I hear through my in-ear monitors on stage. That causes me to play differently. Some mpcs I've tried at home and love just do not work on a gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Michael Brecker II

1 - 20 of 21 Posts