Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks, ive had my hands on both models of guardalas (actually wax copies from Sakshama) for a few months now....

They are actually 2 different animals...baffle type,chamber size

I wanted to see how those of you with experience playing these mouthpieces view the difference...

ill post my feelings later...I don't want to lead the witnesses!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a MB I and a MB II, both HM By PMS. I love on the tenor the bright and harmonic sound, and both mouthpieces do not meet my needs.. The MB I arrived at one point seemed to 'stop' in harmony, as if I am not able to have a change of gear .... the MB II was a little better, basically the two are different but not very different mouthpiece, I find the two best the MB II but for me the absolute best is the Studio model.
I believe that the average saxophonist that of two mouthpieces the best is the MB II because I think that guarantees more versatility. The MB I think I started to become too dark....
A dark Guardala does not make sense! for this purpose there best bouthpieces.... IMHO

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the I has a longer baffle and larger chamber

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..bump

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
the I has a longer baffle and larger chamber
I think you'll find that the I has a shorter baffle and larger chamber than the II. I'm talking about the original ones. What anyone else has made under Dave's name is sometimes a different matter.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah...you know i dont really know what a baffle is!!! anyways the slope on the I is longer and then the table of the baffle is shorter(if i can call it a table!!!!)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
....thats the geometrics...but what about the playabilty/sound????

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...that's what i'm doin here!!! thanx doc

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mouthpiece museum lists both the MBI and II as high baffle...yet the II clearly has a long baffle,and the I a shorter one with a longer slope...

there...now can we discuss the difference in playability/sound now?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Okay.....
Seeing as how no one has responded to this thread for 4-YEARS!! here's the best thing I can tell you about the MBI and the MBII.

The Guardala MBI mouthpiece is the exact replica of the mouthpiece that Michael Brecker used during the last six years of his life. It has a moderately high baffle with a large chamber, making it suitable for mainstream jazz. It is an exact replica of the original Brecker.

The Guardala MBII mouthpiece is a hybrid between the ‘Studio’ and the original ‘Brecker’ models. It has the high baffle of the Studio and the large chamber of the Brecker model, giving increased volume and brightness with great ease of playing, especially suited for Contemporary/Pop, Rock and Jazz.

I have personally played on both (vintage handmade models) and I prefer the MBI. The playability of the MBI is more...suited to my playing style and the tone I hear in my head. The MBII is nice but a little bright for my taste. It does have it's place, but for my I prefer the MBI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts