Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know what kind of ligature you're using with your Guardala mpc?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
selmer 402 works well
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
Joined
·
766 Posts
You can also use a Vandoren Optimum Lig if you put a thick mouthpiece patch on the top of the mouthpiece...worked for me until I found the SAXXAS. I also have both the 402 and the 404T and they work, but sound I got was "stuffy" compared to the the Optimum and SAXXAS.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
Joined
·
2,848 Posts
I used to use the Winslow like brassnaked, but it was a pain to put on and tended to move when you moved the mouthpiece to tune. I'm using the Selmer and the response is almost as good, and it's much easier to use, easier to find, and a lot cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Brassnaked is that the winslow copy that sells on ebay? i use a winslow on my arb alto.
I have used a oleg on the guardala which worked well but they tend to slide about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
trigger said:
Brassnaked is that the wilmslow copy that sells on ebay? i use a wilmslow on my arb alto.
I have used a oleg on the guardala which worked well but they tend to slide about
I'll answer that,
Yes...but its Winslow not wilmslow;)
Hey Brassnaked, does any of that cage ever touch the guardala or do those what appear to be two rubber buffers work well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Dr Sax what price did you have to pay for said lig as theres no pricing on
the web site
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,469 Posts
The wire can easiely be changed. It´s just one piece of wire running losely thru. It´s fastened with 2 socket-head cap screws as you see one on my picture. There is an other one on the other side of the same bar.
If you cut the wire you can only go smaller without replacing the wire.
I´m still testing it with all my mouthpieces and just don´t cut the wire.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
Joined
·
766 Posts
trigger said:
Brassnaked is that the winslow copy that sells on ebay? i use a winslow on my arb alto.
I have used a oleg on the guardala which worked well but they tend to slide about
Yes...it is called a SAXXAS.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
Joined
·
766 Posts
Saxlicker said:
Hey Brassnaked, does any of that cage ever touch the guardala or do those what appear to be two rubber buffers work well?
No, the side and top do not touch at all...that's one of the reasons I bought one, sight unseen. For myself, tone only, I rate the ligs mentioned:

1. SAXXAS
2. Vandoren Optimum with mouthpice patch on top of mouthpice
3. Selmer 404T Silver
4. Selmer 402 Alto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brassnaked said:
No, the side and top do not touch at all...that's one of the reasons I bought one, sight unseen. For myself, tone only, I rate the ligs mentioned:

1. SAXXAS
2. Vandoren Optimum with mouthpice patch on top of mouthpice
3. Selmer 404T Silver
4. Selmer 402 Alto

How do these measure up to the Olegature. I mean the one with the flexible metal mesh with two screws that go on top of the mpc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
I have tried an oleg on other mouthpieces and they're good but I found them to fiddley.

I have an alto selmer 402 and the fit is great.
The 404 tenor piece .......it definately fits?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
Joined
·
766 Posts
Wailin' said:
How do these measure up to the Olegature. I mean the one with the flexible metal mesh with two screws that go on top of the mpc?
Okay, you got me wondering so I dug out my GP Olegature and tried it. Not objectionable...not even close to the SAXXAS or the Optimum though...about the same as the "Rovner-like" lig included with the MPC. Plus, the Olegature is really not "friendly" to gold plating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saxlicker said:
I have tried an oleg on other mouthpieces and they're good but I found them to fiddley.

I have an alto selmer 402 and the fit is great.
The 404 tenor piece .......it definately fits?
The Selmer 404 definitely fits. I had one that didn't work well with my Otto link but it fits well with the Guardala well.

I emailed the guys in Germany or wherever they are. Currency is definitely European. They replied it's $149.00 in US bucks. Be real. I spent $349 for my Guardala. But that's a little steep for a lig even for those of us who can afford it.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top