Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered this piece by a friend who does not play it anymore, in fact has not been playing it for a long time. It's a handmade Guardala Crescent engraved "DG" on the top of the shank and "CRES G-917" on the side of the shank.
I have owned and played 4-digit Crescent mouthpieces, but what amazes me with this 3-digit mouthpiece is how individually DG scooped the chamber of this one. I think at this point in his career, pieces were quite different in spite of the model name.
This mouthpiece is about 0.106, and I can tell you it needs a lot of air in spite of that 7* tip opening due to the high baffle and the huge chamber. Maybe it's a keeper, maybe it's a bit too much for my chops. I will decide later.

This is what it looks like (picture of chamber with bulb light, so the colour is not right):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dsop35xbwm9ntxh/AABAvHNoYqIHSuUAlyyt8ytKa?dl=0

And this is my first go at it with my trusted 1956 Mark 6 and a RJS 3S reed:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66272036/Guardala Crescent.mp3

I haven't played a high baffle piece for a long time, and it's quite a long way from my daily Link NY Double Ring 5* to this beast, but it's really interesting.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Well you sound great on it. It doesn't sound like you are working too hard or struggling with it but only you would know for sure.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your kind words, Keith. What I can't do with that mouthpiece at the moment is playing the very low registers with little air like I can with my Links. But of course this will be a process of adjusting.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Interesting sound. You may consider dropping down 1/2 in reed strength for an easier lower register. Also what is the name of that tune on the backing track? I would like to learn it and couldn't recognize it from the chord changes.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Phil, and, yes, I tried to go down from RJS 3S (which is about what my Rigotti 2.5 feels like) to Rigotti 2 but felt the overall sound suffered. I guess I will have to find a reed in between.
The PA is a well known piece, but my improvisation made it hard to recognize it: "My One and Only Love".

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Thanks, Phil, and, yes, I tried to go down from RJS 3S (which is about what my Rigotti 2.5 feels like) to Rigotti 2 but felt the overall sound suffered. I guess I will have to find a reed in between.
The PA is a well known piece, but my improvisation made it hard to recognize it: "My One and Only Love".
Thanks. Actually it did sound familiar, your take on it was beautiful. See if you can retain the idea you had for the tune. I think you're on to something.

I definitely understand about the elusive in between reed, I'm going through the exact same thing. 2 1/2 is a little stiff and 2 sounded thin even in the low register on my last recording. I thought I had a great sound but when I played it back I see I'll have to stay with 2 1/2's.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Just my opinion so TIFWIW - After listening to each of these a few times I prefer the way you sound on the Crescent over the other two. Not sure it sounds better but that's the sound I like the best. If it were me playing the clips, and I was only going to keep one of the Guardalas (not sure if that's what's on your mind or not but it may be a consideration) I'd keep the Crescent and sell the BM.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
You sound best on the Crescent. It could be the reed choice on the Link that's holding it back. At least that's been my experience when comparing Links to higher baffled mouthpieces. What I'm saying is you can't play the same strength or sometimes even the same reed brand on the Link that you play of the Crescent.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
My 1st ever DG was a Cresesnt handmade in mint condition as new off my old teacher many years ago. Lovely piece and you sound very Coltrane in tones on yours. I have had original DG'S in a MBII he made me, a Studio, King and a Super king. All of course were class. I had most models made for me by Sakshama and the BM DG he made was also outstanding. I have now a vintage 8star BB Lawton Sakshama done a complete reface on putting a MB1 baffle and chamber onto it. I like your BM soundbite better but both sound very nice. I always end up on a DG type piece for my sound likes.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After looking for a ligature that really works I got a new Selmer 402 today that I had to bend and twist a little bit befored it did a decent job. This time I played it on my 1949 Super Balanced Action, and I'm surprised how lush that high baffle-piece can sound. Still on the lookout for THE reed for it. This time I chose a LaVoz Medium which is a bit for my chops right now. But the basic tonal response seems to work well with the Crescent.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66272036/Guardala Crescent SBA 21.10.mp3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts