Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Girls,

I recently bought a second hand Guardala MB11 from a member on here and was absolutely blown away by it, now i need to find out what the various differences are between mine which is a PMS version and others like the WWBW and Sacshama versions etc, are there any that are noticably much better/worse than others? whats the difference between the basic one i have and the laser trimed and the modern handmades by Nadire i think his name is.
I would guess the orriginal Dave Guardalas are much better than all the modern ones but at the kind of prices i see them for on ebay i just cant afford one, are they really that much better???

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have the one with the bullet chamber
?
Not sure, i looked at the WWBW site and also the sax.co site and they both apear to be identical, mine has the high flat baffle listed on sax.co.uk as hand made, but the others seem to have a rounded baffle, i'm getting more confused now! Help...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had another look, and no mine does not have a bullet chamber, i guess that would make it one of the cheaper WWBW pieces then rather than a PMS as i first thought then would it? i guess the bullet chamber piece would sound quite different, right?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the sakshama rules!!!!

did you get yours yet marcus???

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
There's nothing better than an original Guardala handmade by Dave----NOTHING.
If you need to go the less expensive route---the Sakshama and the WWBW laser trimmed are both good. The Cheong is good too.
I am not a fan of the "handmade" PMS models, myself.
There is still nothing better than the original handmades by Dave, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can compare yours to the Guardala photos on my site and perhaps figure out which one you have.
Thanks for that...very interesting, after having a good look through it would seem mine is a WWBW laser trimed piece and not a PMS as first thought.

Lots of praise for Sakshama in fact i've just been in email contact with him and he's going to make me a MB11 with rails so i can use a Lawton ligature, something i've tried myself and with great results....

10mfan, your the guy with all the Guardalas on ebay right? one question...how the hell does somebody acumulate so many orriginal pieces as you have? and i would be more than interested in having one if you could bring the price down...

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
i would be more than interested in having one if you could bring the price down...
I seem to remember that Guardala's partner (long since banned from this forum) stated that Brecker actually played on of the "laser-trimmed" models, not a handmade one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Laser trimmed pieces were not yet available when Dave made his first pieces for Michael. Laser trimmed were not available until years later. Back in the beginning, they were all hand made pieces as I owned many of them, but that was back in the early 80's

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
10mfan has a wonderful collection of DG original pieces. if youve got the bread,you can't do any better.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I seem to remember that Guardala's partner (long since banned from this forum) stated that Brecker actually played on of the "laser-trimmed" models, not a handmade one.
No, but Jeff did state that MB selected one from the normal handmade production. One was not adjusted or tweeked to his needs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Ok- from this discussion- a general query- from your experience whats the practical difference between a straight and a bullet baffle (all other variables being equal).....

·
Registered
279 Posts
the sakshama rules!!!!

did you get yours yet marcus???
No i didnt get it yet i i orderd it cause i am curious about the sakshama pieces..in fact i am very happy with the pms mb11 lt
i bought it a few years ago.i testplayed a lot of other guardalas 1 original handmade fatboy marsalis, and a few handmade ones from pms.. for me the mb11 suited best..
i am very curious about the sakshama ,i let you know when its in.
greetz Marcus

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Ok- from this discussion- a general query- from your experience whats the practical difference between a straight and a bullet baffle (all other variables being equal).....
IMO, to be anything like an original Guardala it has to conform to the original design.....MBII's with bullet chambers aren't MBII's.....of the original DG pieces, only the the King and Super King models had bullet chambers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, but what's the difference? I'm interested too, as a Berg player who is considering trying a few Guardala-type pieces...

1 - 20 of 90 Posts