Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered 4 mouthpieces from wwbw with their trial program and got a Otto Link STM, Otto Link NY, Guardala MBII and Guardala Crescent. I like the NY better than the STM and the Crescent better than the MBII so I'm down to the Crescent and Otto Link NY. I'm actually leaning towards the crescent because its so free blowing and seems to have that Coltrane sound that seems pretty close to him on Crescent. On the NY link I can't seem to get nearly as much volume and I like the tone a bit more also on the Crescent. I just feel reluctant getting the Crescent because it is is kinda bright much more so than the NY. If you have any opinions on the Crescent and whether or not i should get that or the link I'd love to hear it and I'm open to all suggestions. Also if it matters stuff about me and my playing is I'm 14 practice 2-3 hours a day alone and I participate in district jazz band and any jazz band I can get into. If you like I'll record a video on each of the mouthpieces if i get a request and the mouthpiece I payed previously was a rubber Jody Jazz 7*.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What are you looking for in a mouthpiece that the JJ doesn't do? The JJ's are decent mouthpieces.

In my experience, the longer I play a mouthpiece, the brighter I can sound on it. Something to think about if you think the Crescent is bright now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Jody Jazz is definitely a great mouthpiece but it was my first jazz mouthpiece and the most accessible and easy to pick up immediately so obviously it was what I would choose then. Now I find that I can get a better sound on other mouthpieces since I've gotten used to jazz mouthpieces. That's why I'm searching for a new mouthpiece right now but I will agree the Jody Jazz is a great mouthpiece that I'm sure ill still use.

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
A play test with the ensemble you plan to use the mouthpiece with is the best test. If you need to be heard, lean towards something a bit brighter. If you need to blend with a section and currently stick out a bit too much, lean darker. Over time, you will learn how to play a wider range of tones and volumes on any mouthpiece design. So selecting a mouthpiece will be more of a fine adjustment instead of a major sound change.

The Crescent is not a radical high baffle design. So if you think it suits your needs, don't be afraid to get it. They generally have better facings on them than the average Link.

BTW, compliments to your posting style. We have had many 14-year olds (and older) on here that... are not as articulate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually doing jazz band right now for 8 hours a day with a decent sized group, unfortunately their not very good but i can still get a good idea with this. I find that its more of a struggle to be heard on the link and it just doesn't have as nice of a tone as the Crescent or even my old Jody Jazz mouthpiece. I'm thinking some of this might be attributed to that I have a tenancy to bite and I've cut my lip pretty bad so what I think I'll do is take the weekend of and use a lot of healing cream than see if the Link sounds better on Monday. Also both the MBII and Crescent came with terrible ligatures that chip my reeds and actually have bits of string stitched into them that's already coming off. My teacher lent me a ligature that almost looks like chain-mail and is much better and says if I buy the Crescent he'll give me a ligature for it to keep. Thank you for the advice about what to buy, I'm still looking for more opinions on what to get any advice helps. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have not played a Crescent but I have played Links and the MBII. Links, for the most part, are not going to be as loud or as cutting as any piece that has a baffle. I think if you are playing in a jazz band a Link should be ok. Play lots of long tones and work with it for a while. You shouldn't really need a baffle piece to play in a jazz band.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My reasoning for choosing the Crescent is that right now I have a hard rubber Jody Jazz that gives me a great dark, full and loud sound. The reason I would go for the Link is because its a darker piece. But if my Jody Jazz gives me more volume, more free blowing playing and a nicer tone there's no reason I should get a Link that doesn't give me this. If I get the Crescent I'll have a slightly brighter piece with a bigger sound and a tone I really like and I will of course still keep the Jody Jazz for a darker sound. This is how I figure it. But like I mentioned my lip is in pretty bad condition and that could be affecting my experience with it. I'll rest for the weekend to heal up and maybe I'll record a YouTube video with the two mouthpieces on Monday. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,548 Posts
Not related to the mouthpieces, but you should get some Ezo. You buy it at CVS in the Denture/Teeth section. Buy the upper if they have it as opposed to the lower (more for the money). It is basically wax covered gauze. Cut a piece about half an inch long and put it under some hot running water. Then fold it over your bottom 2 front teeth. It will mold to them and you can play with it on. This should solve your lip problem. A LOT of guys use this stuff or something like it. Let me know if you have any questions. It really will help. You can then play as much as you want and it won't ever hurt your lip:)

*** You can get an altoid tin or some sort of canister and poke holes in it. Then you can keep the molded ezo in there. You can use one piece for a month or so. Just make sure you poke the holes in whatever you keep it in as it will mold otherwise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Make sure you're not falling in love with 'loudness'. It's easy to do. Listen closely and see which mpc has more colour, fullness -- that's what a big, voluminous sound is all about.

I have a hard time with metal mouthpieces, I think I have a big mouth or something. I can't get my emouchure small enough to make a good seal around the smaller size while creating the large large throat cavity that is necessary in having a good sound.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
My hesitation towards the Guardala is that I think that significant baffles are a bit of a "crutch". I know the Crescent doesn't have a huge baffle but maybe something between that and the Link might be more appropriate. Actually that JJ HR* is probably something you should work with for a while longer. Maybe try different reeds and ligs. Here is a clip of someone using a JJ HR in a funk situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHzWCHF7AGU&list=FLnNgyDKCglGI74dhiQnpEPA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The biting is a completely separate problem than the mouthpiece choice. Last week I was kinda forced to change my embouchure playing 8 hours a day and now I have a new embouchure that requires no biting. Unfortunately my lip was already pretty really sore and even with the new embouchure it hasn't had a chance to heal simply because of the mouthpiece being in my mouth. If I rest until it heals the cut will go away and I can continue with the new embouchure without this happening. I'm sorry if I made it sound like the new mouthpiece was supposed to be a solution to my biting problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,120 Posts
If you like the Crescent then keep it and play it! Don't feel you HAVE to play a Link to play "jazz".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts