Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,929 Posts
Look for a posting of an original Guardala brochure. He described all his mouthpieces and listed them in order of 'brightness'. However, from what I know of the two you mentioned, they have more similarities than differences. I know the 'Crescent' was about a #6 (Otto Link sizes) and was essentially the least bright of his offerings. You would have to want to play like Coltrane , with a stiffer reed, to get that kind of 'strident' sound he was noted for. If I played it I still would sound the same but maybe with not as much 'presence'. The Marsalis I basically know nothing about except what I can tell from pictures, which is where I learned the baffle/chamber is similar to the Crescent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,929 Posts
Thanks for posting that - I have one around here somewhere but I think I hid it from myself. You know how that goes; 'I'll put it in this special place so I will remember where it is'. Unfortunately that never works. Actually I don't think mine had some of those models. It dated from 1989. The 'King' model was still called the 'King Curtis' at that time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your answers, I'm playing with a tenor Jody Jazz HR 8 and I want to change it. I really like his sound but maybe I'm a little bored of him..I still have not decided what mouthpiece I'm going to buy

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I had several handmade Guardala handmade mouthpiece including both Crescent and Branford Marsalis models. On the whole, the BM had a more powerful, modern sound imho whereas the Crescent is more balanced with a vintage core. I own the Crescent shown in this clip, and I'm very happy with it. In fact the Crescent is my all time favourite Guardala, and I played them ALL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUedXhqaeM

A friend of mine in Germany is offering her BM at the moment (don't know if it's still available). That's her on the BM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sex29W_IcJ4&feature=youtu.be

It's of course nuts to compare two different players, but after owning and playing Crescents and BMs I feel the somewhat darker and fuller core of the BM becomes audible in the clip-comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts