Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is a special Guardala mouthpiece that I would like to have you have a look at. If Jeff Powell sees it, he might shed some light on this very special mouthpiece. It says "DB" and "GCRES" which of course makes it a handmade Crescent serial number 968. But, on the shank as well in a vertical dot engraving, it says "Lieb 2".
The guy who gave it to me said the professional player who owned it before bought it from Dave Liebman in the late 80s. He did not say anything about the Crescent engraving because he really did not know.
What I find even more interesting is that not only the short step baffle shows the typical diagonal file marks I know from other DG mouthpieces. The slope baffle shows the same marks, and the chamber has been carved on both sides. It seems this mouthpiece was really worked on with a lot of custom work for Dave Liebman.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Now this is a special Guardala mouthpiece that I would like to have you have a look at. If Jeff Powell sees it, he might shed some light on this very special mouthpiece. It says "DB" and "GCRES" which of course makes it a handmade Crescent serial number 968. But, on the shank as well in a vertical dot engraving, it says "Lieb 2".
The guy who gave it to me said the professional player who owned it before bought it from Dave Liebman in the late 80s. He did not say anything about the Crescent engraving because he really did not know.
What I find even more interesting is that not only the short step baffle shows the typical diagonal file marks I know from other DG mouthpieces. The slope baffle shows the same marks, and the chamber has been carved on both sides. It seems this mouthpiece was really worked on with a lot of custom work for Dave Liebman.
Nice piece!

I'm afraid Jeff Powell won't be able to shed any light on it. See post #6

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?254450-Guardala-Dave-Paul

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not know that. Thanks for the sad update. So Dave Liebman is the only one who will maybe rembember this mouthpiece. RIP, Jeff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
'DG' of course, not 'DB'. #968 is from the great early days. 'GCRES' is 'Gold, Crescent'. Dave made a 'Liebman' model of course and he used 'Lieb' for those. In this case, I don't have any idea why he put 'Lieb 2' on that Crescent unless Liebman ordered some mouthpieces from him and he numbered them. The other thing is, it has been re-engraved. It still looks like DG's work, but I can't say that I have seen that done before. It also appears to me that is has been buffed and replated without harming the table/lay. I think I see some earlier engraving on the shank too so I'd recommend you look it over closely. Decoding these Guardalas is fun for me and I hope this helps but I think there's more to the story. I bet it plays great - it just has that look. :)

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
The chamber and baffle remind me of a Dukoff LD I had.
I never understood how Dukoff never sued the crap out of Guardala. Every one of his designs was a direct rip off of a Dukoff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Judging by that comment, I'd say you are not familiar with Dukoffs or DGs.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1saxman, you have one pair of sharp eyes there.... I thought the iPhone camera had blurred those pics. I have just had a close look and have even used a magnifying glass. This mouthpiece has not been refinished: all dotted engravings are prominent and not filled in. There are rather two "classes" of engravings. The engravings of the "first class" have bee done with much smaller dots and are very faint: The "Lieb 2" engraving and the engraving underneath the "GCRES" show equal characters (size and depth). The engravings underneath the "GCRES" and the "968" are a mystery to me. They say "CRES" and "X65" and can only be seen (just like the "Lieb 2") in direct sunlight. The larger-dotted engravings (second class) "DG", "GCRES" and "968" were applied by Dave later.
My interpretation: Dave planned this piece to go to Dave Liebman from the start, marked it CRES, Lieb 2 and X65 (maybe X was for a custom mouthpiece, who knows) and later engraved it with "GCRES", "DG" and "968".
The mouthpiece was definitely sold to the second owner by Dave Liebman, so I guess the first set of engravings was done as a kind of "workshop orientation", who knows. In any case this is the most mysterious DG mouthpiece I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I told a friend yesterday this reminds me of a sports car. It's a very free blowing piece with lots of muscles. I have had three or four Crescent mouthpieces in the past, and this one is different: more body, more projection, richer treble and more "shine". I guess this is due to the custom work that Dave did on it.I recorded a short clip yesterday that is not really meant for public use, but I'll post it, nevertheless. It's my 1939 Selmer Balanced Action and a Woodstone 3 reed. I know Guardalas can be reed picky, but this one responded friendly to the Woodstone. I will maybe try a Rigotti 2.5 Gold or a La Voz Medium later.
So, this is just meant to give you an impression, it's not really music.... It makes the speakers of my Macbook clip, so I recommend headphones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8phn3uwflxy5t0/Master Lieb fx a7#01.mp3?dl=0

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a bit disappointing that I have not been able to find out more about this unique and early Crescent mouthpiece. Has anybody heard of mouthpieces that DG "pre-engraved" for custom work? Were there, at the beginning of his work, serial numbers that used numbers and letters? Any information is welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts