Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Guardala low A baritone for $5500. Appears to be in mint condition. Does anyone know who makes this horn and how it compares to one of the better knows makes like Yanagasawa, Yamaha, Keilwerth, or Selmer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
There is one in my local music store for 3995 or so, it should be made by B&S, and the one that they have there is a B&S 2001 Series IV. Great playing horn, I would see if you can talk them down in price though. As far as I know(someone correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE), they aren't being made anymore, so it has probably been sitting out for a while. I tested the one in my local store against the King Super 20 (Low Bb) and Mark VI Low A that my school has, and I preferred the ergonomics of the guardala GREATLY over the King and the Selmer. The sound was great too, nice and "full", with very quick response.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
$5500 is a ridiculously high price. That horn (with the Guardala name) has been out of production for several years, I think. I purchased a black nickel one a couple of years ago for $3800, but ended up returning it due to a shipping mishap.

Personally, the palm keys were way too low for me, and the keywork felt very, very small. The tone was fairly nice, although not spectacular. For $5500, I think you have better choices.

As far as comparisons go, the YBS-62 feels much better under the hands to me. The Guardala doesn't compare at all to the JK in terms of sound, IMO.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I called him back and he was asking $3,900. I went out and played on it. I don't think it had ever had a mouthpiece on it. Very pretty. Brand spanking new. However, it didn't really appeal to me. It's been a long time since I played bari. Used to play an old King Zephyr with a Brilhardt Levelaire 7* mouthpiece. Still have the piece.

I just found the tone to be a bit uninteresting. Lots of fundamental. Did not seem to have many interesting harmonics. Not a very complex tone. Action was fine. A bit heavy, even for a bari. Could just be that I haven't played bari in so long I couldn't get an interesting tone out of it. Decided to pass on it at $3,900.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts