Sax on the Web Forum banner

GS Reso FG Spec vs GS Slant vs GSJA vs GS 6* Reso vs FG Deluxe MkII (new audio 06/11/22)

31K views 209 replies 31 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 · (Edited)
I’ve just received the 2 pieces as per the title of this thread and I’ll be uploading audio files of them both tomorrow. From a visual point of view they look excellent. The FG Spec is significantly shorter than the Slant. From a cursory blow I can already say they are very different but instead of describing them in words I’ll let the audio files hopefully speak better than I can. I’ll record with and without ambient fx. I also have a modern Tone Edge and an 80’s STM (both excellent players that I’ll also record for comparisons sake)
I hope the recordings will help anyone who’s currently considering these pieces.
Best, Alex

#202 ·
Hi everyone. I was reading up about the GS Slants and found this awesome thread. Alex, those demos sound wonderful. The Slant is definitely my favourite.

May I ask, Alex, if you have played on the Mouthpiece Cafe Slant? If you have, might you be able to offer your thoughts on how the pieces are different?

The Mouthpiece Cafe Slant has been my main piece for the past 6 years or so. I have a Jody Jazz and a couple of modern HR Links knocking around. I like the JJ. It's a little more free blowing than the Slant (not by much), but I can push the Slant more and I find it easier to get a bit of edge without getting buzzy.

I hear great things about the GS Slant, so if you have played both and are able to offer insight into the differences, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance, Alex! :)

#203 ·
I did have a MpcCafe Slant many years ago and it’s long gone so it’s difficult to recall how it was in comparison to the GS Slant. But what I can say with some confidence is that I won’t be saying it’s long gone about the GS. I really do love the 7 Slant I have. If you’re ever down this way (Greytown) drop in and try them all. I have 4 all very different. You can record on them here in my studio. I do find listening back to them really provides a much more objective view point. I’m always happy to help. Let me know if I can😎

#207 ·
The

The best I can suggest is to pick either the Reso or the Slant and try to brighten/darken with different reeds. In an older post Brian mentioned an upcoming mouthpiece that's a copy of the Dukoff Supersonic, which might fit the bill, but it's not out yet.

Reactions: Alex Nyman and Leon
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.