Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
In that recording, Steve plays a 7 tip GS Reso based on the taller JA blank but with a 7 FG facing curve. In his next recording he plays the FG 7* (based on the FG blank). I am not aware of a public recording of the JA 5 (JA blank with original JA 5 facing curve).
Hmmmm. I might just have to get the Allard Reso:cool:

·
Registered
Sop: Yam 82ZR, Yani SC-WO20, Tenor: Yam YTS-62iii, GS Florida Slant 7*
163 Posts
where did you get that info from? I thought the JA 5 model is the only one that has a Joe Allard facing, as described by Brian on his website !?
Info is from Steve's review. Yes, the JA 5 is the only one with the Joe Allard facing. And the FG 7* is the only one with both the FG body and FG facing.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Info is from Steve's review. Yes, the JA 5 is the only one with the Joe Allard facing. And the FG 7* is the only one with both the FG body and FG facing.
I see it there. Thanks. Brian wasn’t explicit about that on his website. He just said his generic model started from a closed tip ‘blank’.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I see it there. Thanks. Brian wasn’t explicit about that on his website. He just said his generic model started from a closed tip ‘blank’.
Yes, I still feel somewhat uncertain.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On reading Brian's website again, I think he is explicit that the variable tips use the JA Reso scan.

So we started with a smaller tip Reso Chamber, and then we used Otto Link facing curves to carefully model 'opening' the 5 tip...
If you want an exact copy of the Reso ChamberJoe Allard Facing that we scanned... then select the 5 JA facing.
It is still unclear to me what the facing curve is on the tip openings other than the JA 5 and the FG 7*. They seem to be:
Otto Link facing curves carefully modelled on 'opening' the 5 tip to whatever facing you want.
That is, modelled from the JA 5 tip.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seeing that you have the Allard Reso do you have the possibility to put up an audio file of that Clive?
I don't think my playing will be a reasonable comparison for you. I've only been playing Tenor for 18 months. I play a different sax ( Yam 62) and reeds (Red and Green Java) and I focus on slow Ballads.

I did play both GS Reso FG special 7* and GS JA 5 tonight with the identical reed, a Green Java 2.5 for comparison. (I am out of 3's and my restock is a week away in the post).

For me, the JA Reso is noticeably brighter in the mid range, closer to the GS Slant. The JA Reso seems to offer a wider variety of expressiveness, more 'personality'. The JA Reso subtone is very 'creamy' and ridiculously easy but overall I find the FG Reso easier to play apart from subtone.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don't think my playing will be a reasonable comparison for you. I've only been playing Tenor for 18 months. I play a different sax ( Yam 62) and reeds (Red and Green Java) and I focus on slow Ballads.

I did play both GS Reso FG special 7* and GS JA 5 tonight with the identical reed, a Green Java 2.5 for comparison. (I am out of 3's and my restock is a week away in the post).

For me, the JA Reso is noticeably brighter in the mid range, closer to the GS Slant. The JA Reso seems to offer a wider variety of expressiveness, more 'personality'. The JA Reso subtone is very 'creamy' and ridiculously easy but overall I find the FG Reso easier to play apart from subtone.

Hope that helps.
Very helpful info thanks Clive. And what a great choice of mouthpieces to start your playing with.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very helpful info thanks Clive. And what a great choice of mouthpieces to start your playing with.
Yes, I feel privileged to be playing the GS mouthpieces. The GS Reso FG 7* in particular is so easy to play I can spend more time on technique. They have given me a great start.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The GS Reso FG 7* in particular is so easy to play
I almost bought GS Reso JA 5 - I was only one click away! - because I'm also mainly a ballad player and I wanted something easy to play, especially in the low register (mainly because of my health, my lungs cannot take much air). And now you say "FG 7* in particular is so easy to play"... 🙃

This moment of confusion was good because it reminded me I shouldn't spend money now on unnecessary things.:D

BTW, it would be nice to know for sure GS Reso JA 5 is a better player than regular GS Reso 5. It is still so fresh stuff it's hard to find an opinion of an experienced musician who knows different GS Reso models. I'm interested in sax1st review, it looks like we can expect one for circa two weeks:)

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I almost bought GS Reso JA 5 - I was only one click away! - because I'm also mainly a ballad player and I wanted something easy to play, especially in the low register (mainly because of my health, my lungs cannot take much air). And now you say "FG 7* in particular is so easy to play"... 🙃

This moment of confusion was good because it reminded me I shouldn't spend money now on unnecessary things.:D

BTW, it would be nice to know for sure GS Reso JA 5 is a better player than regular GS Reso 5. It is still so fresh stuff it's hard to find an opinion of an experienced musician who knows different GS Reso models. I'm interested in sax1st review, it looks like we can expect one for circa two weeks:)
Hi Olaf. I was considering the Reso JA model but had decided not to go ahead however now you’ve commented I think I’ll go ahead and order one. I guess a regular Reso model would also add a bit of balance to the review. I’ll update later. Sorry to hear health issues are affecting your playing. Wishing you well. Alex

·
Registered
163 Posts
I almost bought GS Reso JA 5 - I was only one click away! - because I'm also mainly a ballad player and I wanted something easy to play, especially in the low register (mainly because of my health, my lungs cannot take much air).
Sorry to hear about your health. GS Reso JA 5 does need only a minimum of air. JA 5 and FG 7* are very close in ease of play for me except that I tend to squeek on JA 5 because I have double vision that makes it difficult for me to align the reed on the wider flared window of the JA because the reed only just covers both rails.
BTW, it would be nice to know for sure GS Reso JA 5 is a better player than regular GS Reso 5.
I don't have regular GS Reso 5 but I do have GS Slant 5* and JA 5 is easier than GS Slant 5* IMO. I find the bell notes somewhat less responsive on GS Slant (whether 7* or 5*) vs GS Reso (FG 7* and JA 5). However, I'm not prone to squeeking on the Slant only the JA 5.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry to hear about your health. GS Reso JA 5 does need only a minimum of air. JA 5 and FG 7* are very close in ease of play for me except that I tend to squeek on JA 5 because I have double vision that makes it difficult for me to align the reed on the wider flared window of the JA because the reed only just covers both rails.

I don't have regular GS Reso 5 but I do have GS Slant 5* and JA 5 is easier than GS Slant 5* IMO. I find the bell notes somewhat less responsive on GS Slant (whether 7* or 5*) vs GS Reso (FG 7* and JA 5). However, I'm not prone to squeeking on the Slant only the JA 5.
What strength reeds are you using Clive?

·
Registered
163 Posts
What strength reeds are you using Clive?
I've been using 2.5 Red or Green Java on both 7* and 5 tips. I have 3 strength on order for the 5 tip. I'll try 3 on the 7*, too, to see how the sound compares.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've been using 2.5 Red or Green Java on both 7* and 5 tips. I have 3 strength on order for the 5 tip. I'll try 3 on the 7*, too, to see how the sound compares.
Cool. I think the 3 might possibly work better to eliminate the chirping. I’ll certainly try the 3.5 BSS with the JA Reso but I have the feeling I’ll need to have a 4 on hand but I’m willing to be pleasantly surprised if it plays with the 3.5’s who knows? Do let us know how you get on with the 3 and if it makes a positive difference.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,597 Posts
Great sounds all around on your recording! I agree with a previous poster that there are only subtle differences. They both sound like Alex!

Which one do you prefer or which one has the more "fun factor" for you?

Reactions: sax1st

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Great sounds all around on your recording! I agree with a previous poster that there are only subtle differences. They both sound like Alex!

Which one do you prefer or which one has the more "fun factor" for you?
Thank you Simon. You know it’s difficult to say which I prefer. They both have an intrinsic individual quality that’s hard to define with words (at least for me) but I can say that the Slant certainly pops more on the other hand I love the darker quality of the Reso too and it can be pushed to a brighter timbre if required. I think I could quite easily take either one and play that for the next 10 years and be happy but at $199 a piece I’m also happy to experiment further hence my order tonight for the JA Reso and the 6* Reso. I’ll see where they take me and upload a few more audio tracks that will hopefully in some small way define how they work for me and maybe help others get a feel for their individual nuances.
Thanks for dropping by and I appreciate your kind words as always. Cheers, Alex

21 - 40 of 62 Posts