Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve just received the 2 pieces as per the title of this thread and I’ll be uploading audio files of them both tomorrow. From a visual point of view they look excellent. The FG Spec is significantly shorter than the Slant. From a cursory blow I can already say they are very different but instead of describing them in words I’ll let the audio files hopefully speak better than I can. I’ll record with and without ambient fx. I also have a modern Tone Edge and an 80’s STM (both excellent players that I’ll also record for comparisons sake)
I hope the recordings will help anyone who’s currently considering these pieces.
Best, Alex

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,608 Posts
Looking forward to this!

Reactions: sax1st

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well here’s the track with the Reso and Slant.

I decided to do just a recording with the 2 GS pieces rather than add the 2 regular Links that I have. To be fair they don’t stack up that well against these 2 GS pieces.
The order is the Reso (FG) and then a short break followed by the Slant. Then I added a backing track (Equinox) of 2 choruses each with the Slant first followed by the Reso. All up about 4 minutes worth. I did add some reverb and a small amount of compression to the tracks.

My conclusion is that these mouthpieces are excellent. They are beautifully finished. I have played vintage Slants and a did own one of Freddie’s first mouthpieces (not a Reso hybrid I hasten to add) and these 2 mouthpieces are the equal in my mind to any of them. It’s very difficult to say which one I prefer as they both have great qualities and I think I would play them according to what I was working on.

They also have a decent weight to them and feel great in the mouth. Not too wide and just enough angle on the beak to make at least for me a very comfortable playing position. I forgot after the first minute or so that I was playing on new mouthpieces.

I should add that I’ve tried to concentrate on providing a tonal comparison and not playing too many notes.

I‘m happy to answer any questions you might have regarding these 2 pieces.

Kind regards,

Alex

·
Registered
Sop: Yam 82ZR, Yani SC-WO20, Tenor: Yam YTS-62iii, GS Florida Slant 7*
166 Posts
Beautiful sound sir! You deliver an excellent comparison of these wonderful new mouthpieces. I assume both are 7* tip opening?

There is a third variant: the Joe Allard 5 GS Reso. The JA 5 has a different vintage mouthpiece to the FG as base. It is taller like the Slant with a wider flared window. The JA 5 has an easy and creamy subtone. Any plans to get the JA 5? All three are subtly different.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful sound sir! You deliver an excellent comparison of these wonderful new mouthpieces. I assume both are 7* tip opening?

There is a third variant: the Joe Allard 5 GS Reso. The JA 5 has a different vintage mouthpiece to the FG as base. It is taller like the Slant with a wider flared window. The JA 5 has an easy and creamy subtone. Any plans to get the JA 5? All three are subtly different.
Damn it Clive I’d forgotten about the Allard Reso and now I’m wondering…..:) but at $199 what’s to wonder about? I’ll have a look now. The delivery time was very good too. 2 weeks from payment to delivery to NZ.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Damn it Clive I’d forgotten about the Allard Reso and now I’m wondering…..:) but at $199 what’s to wonder about? I’ll have a look now. The delivery time was very good too. 2 weeks from payment to delivery to NZ.
The JA 5 is perfect for ballads IMO. :p

My delivery only took from Thursday order to Tuesday delivery to Australia. Your 2 weeks I think includes manufacture!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Beautiful sound all around! Very subtle differences between the two. Excellent comparison. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
What reed(s) did you use on your sound sample? What is your horn?

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What reed(s) did you use on your sound sample? What is your horn?
That’s a 1949 Rev C SML tenor. It’s been reasonably set up by the guy I bought it from but it’s going in for a proper set up in July. The lower bell pads aren’t sealing particularly well and the G tone hole is a little out. The reeds are the BSS 3.5’s and I’m using a Marc Jean series 1 ligature.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This is the mic I’m using going through a Tascam IXR audio interface to Cubasis2 just to complete the recording chain.

·
Registered
166 Posts
FG 7* on left, JA 5 on right. (Note: Mine are both 2020 batch and engraving has been updated since).

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve Neff plays both versions of the GS Reso (JA and FG) in a similar tip opening. To get the original JA 5 you need to order it as such.

Steve Neff GS Reso JA version
Not hearing the Allard on that link (no pun intended) and fwiw I did get the James Bunte Allard ARC piece a while back but was unfortunately disappointed with it. I think I’ll stick with these 2 for the time being. Funds required elsewhere.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not hearing the Allard on that link (no pun intended)
In that recording, Steve plays a 7 tip GS Reso based on the taller JA blank but with a 7 FG facing curve. In his next recording he plays the FG 7* (based on the FG blank). I am not aware of a public recording of the JA 5 (JA blank with original JA 5 facing curve).

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
In that recording, Steve plays a 7 tip GS Reso based on the taller JA blank but with a 7 FG facing curve. In his next recording he plays the FG 7* (based on the FG blank). I am not aware of a public recording of the JA 5 (JA blank with original JA 5 facing curve).
where did you get that info from? I thought the JA 5 model is the only one that has a Joe Allard facing, as described by Brian on his website !?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts