Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The new Get-a-sax Alto mouthpiece is ( Meyer NY) is officially out, and I received mine today!

Drinkware Liquid Fluid Cylinder Drink

Lamp Material property Wood Electronic device Plastic

Lamp Gas Cone Audio equipment Light fixture

Will follow up with some details later when I get a chance to play!

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,388 Posts
Congratulations!

I got mine a couple weeks ago- one of the benefits of living nearby. I have a mouthpiece organizer that I keep on my bench, and the front row is my daily drivers. I haven't added a new mouthpiece to the front row for probably 8 years- until now.

There are a lot of "meyer bros ny" copies out there, but most of them fail an even cursory visual inspection of the baffle shape, and none of them play anything like a real new york meyer bros in my opinion. Except this one, which freaking nails it. The zing is there. And its such a pleasant tone. Rare combination, and plays like butter. To the front row it goes. Interested to hear what you think!

·
TOTM administrator
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations!

I got mine a couple weeks ago- one of the benefits of living nearby. I have a mouthpiece organizer that I keep on my bench, and the front row is my daily drivers. I haven't added a new mouthpiece to the front row for probably 8 years- until now.

There are a lot of "meyer bros ny" copies out there, but most of them fail an even cursory visual inspection of the baffle shape, and none of them play anything like a real new york meyer bros in my opinion. Except this one, which freaking nails it. The zing is there. And its such a pleasant tone. Rare combination, and plays like butter. To the front row it goes. Interested to hear what you think!
That's a good proximity effect in getting one that soon!

Great to hear it's working well for you. That's some high praise, and I imagine it may make my main piece rotation as well (currently only 10mfan and Phil tone in that group)! I have been watching this one for quite a while and asked Brian about it way back when I got my Bari from him.

I'm still at work, so can't play until later tonight.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I've been thinking really hard about this one, just waiting for them to become available to the masses. Looks like I'll be placing an order soon!

Reactions: J-Moen

·
TOTM administrator
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking really hard about this one, just waiting for them to become available to the masses. Looks like I'll be placing an order soon!
Just so you're aware:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Oh I'm aware ;) How do you let them know tip preference? The other pieces have a drop-down menu.

·
TOTM administrator
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I'm aware ;) How do you let them know tip preference? The other pieces have a drop-down menu.
Haha just making sure. In ordering, there is a comment box, or you can email them after ordering to confirm the tip opening. Mine is a 6 and also ordered a Echomaster ligature to fit my Phil-Tone Isotope to replace a rovner.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Ordered. I really don't know Meyer facings so I asked for something around .072"-.076". My guess would be either a 5 or a 6. My Orion is a 6 at .076", my Daddy-O (yes, I broke my $250 rule) is a 6 at .072", so I figured that's a safe range to ask for.

·
TOTM administrator
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ordered. I really don't know Meyer facings so I asked for something around .072"-.076". My guess would be either a 5 or a 6. My Orion is a 6 at .076", my Daddy-O (yes, I broke my $250 rule) is a 6 at .072", so I figured that's a safe range to ask for.
Meyer sizes probably match Phil's, as shown here the 5-.071 and 6-.076.

However I've seen that older Meyers had different larger openings. Not sure which scale Brian used for the GS NY, but I assume it's the modern one.

Also to be clear a Daddy-O 6 is listed at .078 on Mark's website (which is what I use, and I have an Alto Madness 5 that's .072)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Oops, you're right. My Daddy-O is a 5. I thought 78 sounded a touch too wide.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! To answer the tip openings question: 4= .069”, 5=.072”, 6=.076”, 7=.080”, 8= .085”

I’m SUPER excited about this alto piece!! It took forever to get it right: 12+ rounds of prototypes and about a year to get it perfect.
But I’m now happy to say, each tip opening plays just like my favorite original facing Meyer Bros NY does. It’s got that combination of sparkle and warmth without being either too bright or being tubby/hollow like a modern Meyer (with a too-low chamber floor) tends to be.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Lol I literally just emailed you about this. 6 it is, then.

·
TOTM administrator
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well - I've had a chance to get this thing on the horn.

Incredible performance from the GS New York. I only had about 30 minutes so far, but I'm very impressed by how well this plays, even register, great dynamic control and sounds amazing. Still dialing it all in, I'll provide some more thoughts on it soon. But figured I'd include a sound bite of me working on some Yardbird Suite. Here it is with/without reverb.

With Reverb
https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fyardbird-gsny-sample
Without Reverb
https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fyardbird-gsny-sample-noreverb

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sounds good J... I have been playing a G Meyer, it's probably 25 years old. Will have to give this some thought. The intonation appears on point. I am a little hesitant because of the material and its effect on the sound that I hear. Great concept from GetASAX for sure. I have seen his videos and closed my eyes; it is impossible to tell the difference with his tenor pieces. Have fun. Now try Confirmation

·
TOTM administrator
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good J... I have been playing a G Meyer, it's probably 25 years old. Will have to give this some thought. The intonation appears on point. I am a little hesitant because of the material and its effect on the sound that I hear. Great concept from GetASAX for sure. I have seen his videos and closed my eyes; it is impossible to tell the difference with his tenor pieces. Have fun. Now try Confirmation
Thanks! I was very impressed by the intonation as well. The horn is always incredibly even, but some pieces do make middle D sharper than others. This one is not the case and keeps everything very close.

As Matt said, it's a front row piece for sure!

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,963 Posts
Sounds really good, Jared. Meyer Bros can be excellent pieces when you get a good one, so if my friend Brian has copied a good one, you guys should be happy.
There are a lot of pricey vintage copy pieces out there, so it’s nice to see you guys have the opportunity to get a nice vintage mpc copy that’s hand finished, for less money.

·
TOTM administrator
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds really good, Jared. Meyer Bros can be excellent pieces when you get a good one, so if my friend Brian has copied a good one, you guys should be happy.
There are a lot of pricey vintage copy pieces out there, so it’s nice to see you guys have the opportunity to get a nice vintage mpc copy that’s hand finished, for less money.
Thanks Mark! Brian definitely was meticulous with this one. It's great to see the way these pieces are coming to fruition. The GS line is definitely a way to experience the vintage pieces in a more feasible way!

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I received my 7 tip yesterday and it’s been hard to put the horn down. What an absolutely fabulous piece this is. As Brian said it has the sparkle and warmth and no tubbiness. It plays beautifully and effortlessly. I’m using a BSS 2.5 with it and it seems to play best for me with my Marc Jean II ligature. I have a few vintage and modern alto Meyer’s and this is a whole other story. I’m super impressed with Brian’s work on both this and the tenor pieces I’m playing. I’ve now gravitated to the Slant and the FG Reso on tenor. I will upload an audio demo of the Meyer and I’ll update the tenor GS thread soon. A huge thank you to Brian for creating these little wonders.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts