Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be with the Naptown Brass Band, back at the Pearl St. Warehouse on Friday night August 23rd in Washington DC. This will be our second time there, but this time as the headliner. A group called Boaty Otis will be opening up for us. They have this gypsy funk vibe with excellent horn players. The doors open at 7pm and the show starts at 8pm. Last time we played we had an absolute blast. The neighborhood is fantastic, the venue has great food and a good time will be had by all.

No Cover!

https://www.pearlstreetwarehouse.com/event/1882669-naptown-brass-band-washington/

www.facebook.com/naptownbrassband

https://soundcloud.com/user-635352663 (Boaty Otis)

·
27,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a note to say that we're going to have a really good line-up for this show. Our lead trombonist couldn't make it last time we played there, but he's good to go for this Friday night's show. I'm sorta rediscovering DC, living somewhat close, but not venturing into the city too often. But we've been getting more and more gigs in DC these days and have played the Washington Hilton, Union Station, Adams Morgan and now the Wharf district. The last gig there we led a parade down the dock and into the club prior to our set... then a thunderstorm kept them all inside! Talk about a captive audience.

But anyhow, should you make it to this free show, be sure to come up and say hello.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,058 Posts
I enjoyed the sound clips very much. I wish I was local and could come and see the show. Maybe you can post a clip from it afterwards?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You’re gonna play soprano? Perfect timing— trying get my soprano setup figured out so I need to talk to another soprano player (or two or three or four ...)

·
27,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe you can post a clip from it afterwards?
We get folks from all over the place that record bits and pieces from our shows (or semi-spontaneous appearances). Some from the French Quarter even. Check out the Naptown Brass Band facebook link above and there are plenty of clips from over the past year and beyond. including that time we crashed a public service video from the City:
https://www.facebook.com/CityOfAnnapolis/videos/324775115020674/?__xts__

You’re gonna play soprano?
Generally, yeah that's my niche with this group. We have an alto player as well, who's an awesome entertainer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,604 Posts
Have fun ! FB page looks like a great bunch of guys to play along with.

·
27,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FB page looks like a great bunch of guys to play along with.
I have to say... I've had more fun with this band over the last year and a half or so since I joined them, than any other group I've ever played in. Great bunch of guys and every show is a party. Though for parades and such, we can have nearly twenty players, we pare it down a bit for stage shows with our core group. It's really evolved too, into something rather special. When I first joined it was this sort of bang/clang rabble, playing for drinks and doing songs in near unison. Since then, and under the tutelage of Kirk Joseph (Dirty Dozen Brass Band), who joins us once a year for a sort of brass band masterclass and then marches with us in the local St. Paddy's Day parade, we do more varied arrangements with each section forming its own layer of sound. He's like our mentor, spirit-guide and muse. Now we're getting good money for gigs, leading wedding processionals through the streets downtown, playing private parties, celebrations of life and stage shows for Mardi Gras at the best venue in town.

And all this despite having brass players to deal with... :lol:

·
27,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We need to keep live musicians on stage as much as possible.
That's another neat thing about this group. Sax players like us are lucky. We have choices when it comes to playing with modern ensembles. Sax is still viable in pop music and remains a lead voice in jazz. But brass players? Outside of community bands, weekend warrior brass players don't have a lot of options. This group has a nice mix of semi-pro level cats as well, and it's like we're all on this journey. Helps that brass band music is infectious in its joy. When we march down the street, either on a gig or sometimes an excursion from whatever venue we're playing... crowds just love this stuff. It's a helluva wave, and I'm just glad I caught it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts