Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'll be taking my east coast kharma out to the Los Angeles area for an extended Memorial Day weekend coming up next week. It'll be my first time out to the left coast and I'll be staying just northwest of the city. So if anyone has any gigs or other interesting happenings around that weekend, just let me know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I might be playing with Pato Banton on the 28th about an hour away from L.A. If you want to check out a Barone Classic tenor your welcome to give mine a spin. I live about an hour south of L.A. I hope you have a good trip.

·
26,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be visiting in the Thousand Oak area; but do hope to dip my toes in the Pacific at some point during the week while I'm out there. I'll also be in Solvang on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Hope to hit Venice Beach on the Tuesday after.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Euge Groove is a Thousand Oaks guy! Maybe he'll be in the area.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,120 Posts
The one time I actually wet my person in the Pacific surf, I was at a jazz convention in Redondo Beach. I walked the 2 blocks from beach to hotel, and still in my trunks and flip flops, spent 2 hours listening to a lecture-cum-Q&A session by Artie Shaw - one of my idols, then in his late 80s, incisive, insightful, and on his feet the whole time. Now that was a day to remember.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Is L.A. ready for you i hope.
I was just in Long Beach, and I talked to a cab driver about SOTW personalities on my way from LAX. He assured me they were ready for most anything or anyone, unless he causes California to slide off into the ocean. In that event, I recommend staying in the Queen Mary while you're there, Grumps.

·
26,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Grumps...here is a possible sub for the Harbour Cats while you are on vacation.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/muc/2368814485.html
Only in Glen Burnie...

Hey, how about that Annapolis/Severna Park lacrosse game the other night? I don't even like lacrosse... but beating Severna Park does have its appeal! :bluewink:

But as for California, I've got a relative out there originally from New York City. I'm the only one out of my siblings that never made the trip out west, and though they all took their trips decades ago I'm finally gonna catch up. So far on the agenda I've got a day in Solvang, a stop in Venice Beach, a trip to an Asian market to pick up a variety of seafood for a backyard BBQ and perhaps a stop at the Reagan Library. I'm certainly open to more suggestions for what to see and where to go. I suppose I'll have to see that Hollywood walk of fame at that Chinese Theatre. Just too bad the Lakers aren't still in the NBA playoffs...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hey Grumps,

Here's a couple gigs that Bob Sheppard will be doing next week - maybe you can make one or both. Adam Schroeder is a great bari player, and pairing with Shep should be something else!!

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 8:00 PM
w/Arturo Sandoval Big Band
Marriot LAX Jazz Fest

Saturday, May 28th, 2011 5:00 PM
w/Adam Schroeder
L.A. Jazz Collective Jazz Fest
Blue Whale
Little Tokyo
Los Angeles, CA.
http://www.lajazzcollective.com/blog/
According to the schedule, Matt Otto also has a quintet there later that night.

JB

·
Registered
26 Posts
Grumps,

We live in Ventura, just north of T.O. & south of Solvang/Santa Ynez.
We'll keep an eye out for more local stuff, but this might be a good start if you don't mind going into L.A......
http://www.in-housemusic.com/home.html

My avatar is from the Eric Marienthal show....Shown are two teachers & two students!?

The VC Reporter is a good source of the local music scene (mostly rock):
http://www.vcreporter.com/cms/story/search/?category=22

The local paper is the Ventura Star, and the big regional paper is (obviously) the L.A. Times.

If you are in Santa Barbara you might try SoHos:
http://www.sohosb.com/

Just north of Ventura is Ojai, never been here but might be interesting...
http://www.thousandoaksnightout.com/events/58422/live-jazz-and-blues--ojai-valley-inn--spa

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hey Grumps, enjoy that vacation!!! Be sure to be on the look out for those pesky drive-by tone-hole grindings, though.

They seem to be happening more and more often in the L.A. Metro area.

:bluewink: :mrgreen:

·
26,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the uncle I'm visiting collects samurai swords (and I mean the real deal!) and practices Kendo, so we'll be prepared for them!

As for gigs in L.A., I'm not so sure my uncle will be up for late nights... so I might need to steal his car or arrange for other transportation.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
What are your specific dates? I have to be up in the Bay area for a family event during the weekend (Fri-Sun), but if you're here longer I'm happy to drag you out for a beer somewhere.

BUT... I just checked and it appears Jack Sheldon is at Catalina Bar and Grill with his big band Saturday and Sunday night. I *highly* recommend you catch this if you can--Jack is getting WAY up there, but the last time I saw him play (a few months ago) he still tore it up on trumpet, and he's a legend in this town... in fact, I'd say it would be worth renting a car and braving the traffic for this show. Just make sure you don't bring companions with delicate sensibilities... Jack is known to have a coarse sense of humor, and not everyone appreciates it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
What are your specific dates? I have to be up in the Bay area for a family event during the weekend (Fri-Sun), but if you're here longer I'm happy to drag you out for a beer somewhere.

BUT... I just checked and it appears Jack Sheldon is at Catalina Bar and Grill with his big band Saturday and Sunday night. I *highly* recommend you catch this if you can--Jack is getting WAY up there, but the last time I saw him play (a few months ago) he still tore it up on trumpet, and he's a legend in this town... in fact, I'd say it would be worth renting a car and braving the traffic for this show. Just make sure you don't bring companions with delicate sensibilities... Jack is known to have a coarse sense of humor, and not everyone appreciates it.
That is a good club too. I saw Joshua Redman there and it was epic.

·
26,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now that's the kind of offer I'm looking for. I'll actually be in town till the first of June, and I'll be sure to pick up a round or two. And thanks everyone for all the links and ideas. I'll forward them to my uncle and see what might work for him, or what venues he might be familiar with. He's definitely a jazz fan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts