Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent some time looking on this site (which is the greatest thing since cheese whiz) and haven't really found the perfect answer yet. So for those of you who can get a really good growl on the altissimo, please help a brother out!

First, the problem. I can get a good tone on the high F and the F#. I can get an awesome scream off of the F, but not the F#. It sort of disrupts the airflow too much (even though I'm basically humming).

I've also been practicing the G, which also screams nicely. I can't get any good tone off of anything higher, especially an A altissimo, let alone growl. It's always too sharp and thin (very thin). The wife really doesn't let me practice it too much! I can hit above these notes, but it's really too high for my taste.

Is it always a question of just long notes, or can it be something else? Is there a way to hit them and give them more body or is that a limitation of the sax or mpc?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Try producing a full tone before you decide to create a growl.

I find that if you can't produce a good tone on a note - then you can't change the tone you have.

learn to play altissimo quietly.. that stuff is really hard - but you'll master altissimo.

try out all the different fingerings - slowly - try and make each one work!

practice everyday - the bane of my existence.

this is probably all the hung over me can offer you...

good luck man!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
How are you fingering the A. Try it like you would play d with octave key but don't press down the B key. Sometimes this can be a little lower pitch then an A played with just the A and G key engaged. As far as growl get to where you can hit the note with good volume and support, tone, in tune, then worry about growling. I growl by vibrating my uvula and throat muscles. It's hard to do and still isn't something I have mastered. But come to think of it I haven't really mastered anything yet. GRRRRRRRRRRRR that was my uvula.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
benbyrne said:
Try producing a full tone before you decide to create a growl.

I find that if you can't produce a good tone on a note - then you can't change the tone you have.

learn to play altissimo quietly.. that stuff is really hard - but you'll master altissimo.

try out all the different fingerings - slowly - try and make each one work!

practice everyday - the bane of my existence.

this is probably all the hung over me can offer you...

good luck man!

Quite right, I think I'll just have to practice it more. I don't think the wife is going to like it, though!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
playitfunky said:
How are you fingering the A. Try it like you would play d with octave key but don't press down the B key. Sometimes this can be a little lower pitch then an A played with just the A and G key engaged. As far as growl get to where you can hit the note with good volume and support, tone, in tune, then worry about growling. I growl by vibrating my uvula and throat muscles. It's hard to do and still isn't something I have mastered. But come to think of it I haven't really mastered anything yet. GRRRRRRRRRRRR that was my uvula.
Actually, the altissimo fingering you just described was sharp, no matter which way I played it. I couldn't change the tone at all because it was so shrill and thin. I looked at the fingering charts somewhere on this thread and am using a different fingering: Like a G (three left fingers pressed down) and the side C (the middle one).

This new fingering didn't work until I got my new mp yesterday (JJ DV). It comes right away and sounds half-decent. I suppose the rest is up to me.

Thanks for the advice... long notes hear I come... up there goes my wife!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts