Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here to RANT about people taking pictures of mouthpieces they are selling and including their gross nasty hands and fingers holding the piece. Does this bother anyone else? I mean come on man,.. if you really have to hold the piece in your clammy mitts for the picture, at least scrub out that nasty brown crust that has been collecting under your nails. Oh, and you might try trimming your nails while you are at it. Better yet, just lay it on the counter and shoot why don't you?

I mean I'm looking at this thing that I'm supposed to put in my mouth and the guy's clenching it with sweaty palms, ringworm on the back of his hand and old boogers underneath his nails. Like, yeah,.. I'll take it.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I am here to RANT about people taking pictures of mouthpieces they are selling and including their gross nasty hands and fingers holding the piece. Does this bother anyone else? I mean come on man,.. if you really have to hold the piece in your clammy mitts for the picture, at least scrub out that nasty brown crust that has been collecting under your nails. Oh, and you might try trimming your nails while you are at it. Better yet, just lay it on the counter and shoot why don't you?

I mean I'm looking at this thing that I'm supposed to put in my mouth and the guy's clenching it with sweaty palms, ringworm on the back of his hand and old boogers underneath his nails. Like, yeah,.. I'll take it.
....and don't forget "snots running down his nose, greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes................"

·
Registered
104 Posts
BUT, if they didn't include their hands, you may see a pretty MPC, and buy it, not knowing of all the crud that last picked it up?

At least this way you run before you buy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,549 Posts
It sounds like you are not a candidate for buying used mouthpieces. Have you considered what germs exist in a person’s mouthpiece, and how bacteria grow in a moist medium?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,771 Posts
ALWAYS wash and sterilize any mouthpiece, ligature or neck before trying.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It sounds like you are not a candidate for buying used mouthpieces. Have you considered what germs exist in a person’s mouthpiece, and how bacteria grow in a moist medium?
I would buy an old MPC. But make sure I wash and disinfect it before using it. Soap and warm water will get rid of any bacteria. Same as I reguarily clean my own MPC.... bacteria is bacteria no matter who's mouth it came from

·
33,549 Posts
I would buy an old MPC. But make sure I wash and disinfect it before using it. Soap and warm water will get rid of any bacteria. Same as I reguarily clean my own MPC.... bacteria is bacteria no matter who's mouth it came from
Not so - bacteria vary from host to host.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not so - bacteria vary from host to host.
True, and maybe even my bacteria are cleaner and better than other peoples.. however, in a moist environment other bacteria can join mine:)

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,187 Posts
Uhhh... ...okay?

I don't think I've ever paid any attention to the hand/fingers in any mouthpiece photos but, hey, you do you.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What's the issue?

Only a small percentage, maybe 10% or so of mpc sales on SOTW have a visible hand in the pictures. Of those, the hand is usually perfectly clean with normally trimmed finger nails. Not gross at all.

Or am I missing something?

·
33,549 Posts
White gloves, baby, that's the way to go.

Or maybe some nice light blue nitrile gloves.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I will only buy mouthpieces from people who certify that they have worn CSI gloves all the time they have ever touched it and used a dental dam when playing so no saliva came in contact with the mpc. One can never be too cautious.

Signed,

Michael Jackson

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
I got called out once for having long fingernails in one of my mouthpiece work videos. They were clean but kinda long for a guy. I just was busy at the time and did not want to stop to trim them. I never thought of myself as a hand model.

·
33,549 Posts
I got called out once for having long fingernails in one of my mouthpiece work videos. They were clean but kinda long for a guy. I just was busy at the time and did not want to stop to trim them. I never thought of myself as a hand model.
Nail shaming???

Stop the madness.

Unless it is Tenor Madness (Sonny Rollins) - we need more of that.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts