Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Gretsch Commander alto, on this site, which I understand is a Buescher stencil. The serial # is 25137. I've been trying to find any and all info about this horn but my google searches have fizzled. Visited the Gretsch website and they don't even mention they once had saxophones in their lineup. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a site that might have some Gretsch history and serial numbers. In grade school I played a Gretsch trumpet and in high school a set of Gretsch drums. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,968 Posts
Stencil brands usually do not have history sites or lists. I have seen plenty of vintage Gretsch drum and guitar catalogs, but have never seen one which had their brasses and saxes in it. Never knew they offered trumpets. But I'd imagine there must be catalogs out there....

(I think the horn would be a 30A, not a 'Crat, although it has some 'Crat-ish detailing. And I love the Low C/Eb guards.)

Nice little horns, tho....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Stencil brands usually do not have history sites or lists. I have seen plenty of vintage Gretsch drum and guitar catalogs, but have never seen one which had their brasses and saxes in it. Never knew they offered trumpets. But I'd imagine there must be catalogs out there....

(I think the horn would be a 30A, not a 'Crat, although it has some 'Crat-ish detailing. And I love the Low C/Eb guards.)

Nice little horns, tho....
Are the 30A completely different bodies?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Are the 30A completely different bodies?
Yup. Different brand too. OEM on this horn is not Buescher either, but rather its subsidiary, Elkhart Band Instrument Co.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had one of these a while back - seemed to me that it was an Aristocrat series I stencil. I had a Series I Tenor at the time and there were a lot of similarities from the keyguards to the left hand pinky table and amber rollers. Very Buescher-ish even if it wasn't directly stenciled by them. It played quite well too!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,923 Posts
See page 9 post 176
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page9
Just a picture

Martin, Couturier, Buescher, Holton And York All made units for Gretsch.

Another thread that may help you. Some pictures on post #18
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?22169-Buescher-Aristocrat-vs-Commander-Opinions

You have a beautiful Gretsch Commander. Guess you’re not going all flute just yet. I had this same horn for about ten minutes. Had bought a YAS-23 and they shipped the wrong item. Here’s the gem.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not all flute yet, though I do own 8. :) I can buy a flute for less than the cost of a mouthpiece. Noticed your serial number is 15996 and mine is 25137. I guess that means your horn was older than mine. Thanks for the great pics and the links. Don't know how I missed your response.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I have an alto copy too. Will chime back in tonite with a serial number. Guitar cats should dig these horns.
Yup, the key guards are ultra cool.

SN# 18263

So these are essentially Buescher "Elkharts" with the Elk engraving?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
tedtelle1, I owned your Gretsch Commander.

I traded it to Steve in part for repad work on a few tenors of mine.
Don't know much about it really.

Steve's a great guy and a fabulous tech.
I was awestruck by his dent work too. Sheer perfection.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tedtelle1, I owned your Gretsch Commander.

I traded it to Steve in part for repad work on a few tenors of mine.
Don't know much about it really.

Steve's a great guy and a fabulous tech.
I was awestruck by his dent work too. Sheer perfection.
Rest assured it went to a good home. Took it to my tech, he tweaked a few things and it plays very well. It was as advertised and purchasing it was an easy transaction

·
7,212 Posts
Rest assured it went to a good home. Took it to my tech, he tweaked a few things and it plays very well. It was as advertised and purchasing it was an easy transaction
Glad you are enjoying it and that it plays very well.It's appearance is outstanding for sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
See page 9 post 176
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page9
Just a picture

Martin, Couturier, Buescher, Holton And York All made units for Gretsch.

Another thread that may help you. Some pictures on post #18
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?22169-Buescher-Aristocrat-vs-Commander-Opinions

You have a beautiful Gretsch Commander. Guess you’re not going all flute just yet. I had this same horn for about ten minutes. Had bought a YAS-23 and they shipped the wrong item. Here’s the gem.
I love this kinda stuff!
Thanks Squealer!

·
3,923 Posts
Don't know how I missed your response.
You are very welcome. Click you too. And tedtelle you missed the post because you’ve been enjoying that fine instrument.

·
3,923 Posts
I have seen plenty of vintage Gretsch drum and guitar catalogs, but have never seen one which had their brasses and saxes in it. Never knew they offered trumpets. But I'd imagine there must be catalogs out there....
Here is one I recently found listed. Not necessarily with the name stenciled on them but in the Gretsch catalog none the less. Circa 1973, Saxophones being on pg20-22. Made by Yanagisawa?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16aG6pz0JOOY033jqXMpll_OV20AozAWT/view

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fascinating look at an old catalog. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you are enjoying it and that it plays very well.It's appearance is outstanding for sure.
saxphil I'm interested in the history of this sax. Any info about previous owners would be greatly appreciated. When did you purchase it, etc. thanks in advance

·
7,212 Posts
My guess would be that JayeLID and maddenma are right on the money as usual as to this horn's provenance.
I come up empty obtaining info on EBIC saxes and their stencils.

I know nothing about previous owners, but its condition is very good to excellent, so it hasn't been played much or changed too many hands.
Probably sat in its case for most of its life.

I bought it on ebay from a seller in Wisconsin about 5 years ago and traded it to Steve at acmhorns about 3 years ago.

I play mostly tenor, so it sat around unplayed with me too.
I have Buescher 140 and Yani 990u altos that are my go to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts