Sax on the Web Forum banner

Gretsch Baritone Saxophone

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  turf3 
#1 ·
Hello all-
I have a Gretsch Stencil baritone saxophone, serial number 10226. Looking for any additional information (manufacturer, horn quality etc.
Thank you!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Fantastic, thanks so much. I've had nothing but trouble trying to track down a manufacturer. Martin makes sense, due to the beveled tone holes that you mentioned. I know that Couturier also used this design for their tone holes and were known to manufacturer a few Gretsch stencils as well, but I have not seen any baritones in my searching. What makes you think that this was the "Handcraft" model? Just chronological reasoning? Genuinely curious. Thing it's worth fixing up? Going to need a ton of new pads though springs and mechanics look sound.Not to mention the dent fixing.

Thanks Again!

#5 ·
The shape of the holes, though, with a well defined chamfer, does imply Martin. I have a Couturier soprano and the tone holes are more rounded on the exterior. My Holton has straight cylindrical tone holes. I think when the Bueschers had soldered tone holes they were also straight cylindrical. So based on the limited photos (can't tell anything about the mechanical details) I would bet Martin, but with the proviso that "it could be something else".

As to quality it's probably similar to the parent horn. Unfortunately it looks like you have one that's only keyed to high Eb which really knocks a hole in its monetary value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.